Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
It’s still pretty warm during the days in northern IL and I was hoping this NUC will not swarm and causes both colonies to be weak. I haven’t opened it in a while to check if there are swarm cells there yet. They do this every night and the amount of bees is growing on the front. I guess without inspecting we can’t get a solid confirmation.
Looking for pointer in this situation.
Thank you.
Plant Wood Architecture Sunlight Rectangle

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
You answered your own question. You need to inspect to make any determination. You definitely do not want them to swarm this late in the season. If you see queen cups, you can deter a swarm. If you see uncapped queen cells, you need to take immediate action. If you see capped queen cells, they Probably already swarmed. J

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You answered your own question. You need to inspect to make any determination. You definitely do not want them to swarm this late in the season. If you see queen cups, you can deter a swarm. If you see uncapped queen cells, you need to take immediate action. If you see capped queen cells, they Probably already swarmed. J
So I actually went out and got a full 10 frame and they filled the whole 10 frames out of 4x4. Checked the frames and did not see any swarm cells. Started late and dawn was setting in so there might have been one I didn’t see. I’ll check them out again tomorrow but at least they’re in 10 frame deep with another deep on top filled with extracted frames to clean up.
hopefully they were just venting and not thinking about swarming. Next few days will be warm again but later in the week should cool off. I’ll let you guys know in a few days what came out of that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would want to be inspecting to see why there is so much more activity in one than the other. Also inventory stores and population to see if they on track to winter survival. If they are iffy it might be better to combine now. You wont know till you look!
They’ve looked pretty well stocked up. The top 4 frames were full of honey and the bottom was a bit light and still capped brood present.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
;) Were you just a bit shy with detail in your original post? That seemed to indicate you didn't know what was going on inside. The picture seems to hav changed. Hmmm?
I've let them be for a little bit, didn't want to disturb them. They were a small colony going in but the last few weeks, month really, they just blew up. It is not that I was leaving things out, I don't play tricks when asking questions. It is when I pulled the frames out to transfer to full 10 frame deep I noticed the stores and what was where. I will have to go in and reorganize them a bit as frames are mixed up a bit (brood might not be in the middle of the deep with stores on the outside). It is still pretty warm out so with exception of messing up their house, I don't expect the brood to get chilled.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you have another 4x4 to add the 3rd story?
tall and narrow will winter better than short and wide, for me.

GG
I might have shot myself in the foot: I bought the double stack 4x4 with a common top cover, so stupid me, instead of getting two more 4 frame deeps I invested more into a full house. Invested well, but maybe wrong timing.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,398 Posts
I might have shot myself in the foot: I bought the double stack 4x4 with a common top cover, so stupid me, instead of getting two more 4 frame deeps I invested more into a full house. Invested well, but maybe wrong timing.
well use what you have
late a 4 frame add would be as easy as a swap to 10 frame.

either will likely work.

GG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts