Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on increasing my number of colonies in the spring. I'd like to go with 5 frame nucs instead of 3 pound packages. I'd also like to stick with Italians at this point. I live in upstate South Carolina about 1 1/2 hours from Charlotte and about 3 hours from Atlanta. The only sources for Nucs I've found are Walter T Kelley and John Pluta (georgiabees.com). Since nucs aren't shipped, I need a place close enough to drive. Kelley is around 7 hours from my home, and Mr. Pluta is around 3 1/2 hours away. I checked with Rossman & Brushy Mountain and they only sell packages.

So...

Has anyone had any experience buying nucs or packages from John Pluta? If so, were you pleased?

and/or

Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier of Italian nucs in NC, SC or Georgia?

Thanks

Travis

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Travis, I purchased a 5 frame nuc from John on July 5th and have been happy with the bees. They came in a mixture of plastic and wood frames but the bees don't seem to mind. I believe he sells a mix of italians and carni's.

One of the officers of the mech bee club sells nucs. Her focus is on bees that demonstrate hygenic traits, no matter what type. I can send you her number if interested.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Rick Sutton (suttonbeeman) on here sells nucs. He travels from Kentucky to Florida.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jennifer Berry (UGA Researcher and contributor to BEE CULTURE MAGAZINE) is selling queens and nucs. I recently ordered 4 nucs for 2011. She is located in the Athens, Ga area.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
If Jennifer doesn't work out check with the SC Beekeeper's Assn. I think they do a group purchase of nucs...but you'll want to get your order in soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts