Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions on how to best get the word out that I have nucs for sale locally. I am not currently on social media, but suppose I could start if I need to. I am in a rural location but within about an hour of a large metropolis. Thanks for any success stories you might have had.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
Craigslist works very well for nuc sales. I am also rural, about 30 outside of DT Richmond. This past year I sold out. One couple came all the way from Lovingston, about 130 miles away, as all their local sources had already sold out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would ask the bee associations near you if they could add your contact info to their website. Most bee clubs have a list of places to buy bees on their site.

What worked for me is a website. Just a simple 1 page site is enough. When people google "buy bees near me" your website will appear.

There are also for sale groups on facebook. You can post your nucs for sale. For this you can just start a personal facebook page. No need to make a business one.

Laryssa

beekeepingmadesimple.com

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
One of my friends is one of the elite on Facebook. She spends hours on it each morning. Some of her posts have had 50,000 hits. She's big into beekeeping. A friend like that would have them all sold in a day.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Oh, one more idea...I never advertised garage sales in the newspaper. I just made signs on cardboard boxes and place them on busy street corners with the arrows pointing at my place, and put a large cinder brick inside. When I wanted people to stop coming, I went and picked up the signs. I was amazed at how effective it was. I thought you don't make much money at garage sales, but when you are between 3 busy intersections, it can get good, especially right after payday.

I cut all the boxes and taped them up so that they were all fit one inside the other, and the next one and so on, smaller and smaller until they were the size of the bright poster paper. I made a stencil that said "SALE" and another that was an arrow. So you could make one that said "BEEHIVES FOR SALE 20 miles =>". I'd put an address on it below. Make sure all 3 signs on each box are pointing the right direction.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Craigslist.
Tried and tested. It's fast, free, and I sell out each year with it.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
How many nucs has anyone sold on Craigslist in a single year?
Sean, I sold about 20. Other nuc producers in my area but closer to town started their year with larger numbers and sold out before I did. I had had my overwintered nucs sold ahead of time and did not post on Craigslist until the end of May when word of mouth demand started to slow down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts