Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...made up a nuc yesterday off a hive I broke down that is in the process of requeening. I gave the nuc which is a 5 frame medium....2 frames that have a little brood on them...and then 1 honey frame...1 pollen/honey/open comb frame..and 1 foundation frame. My question is I don't think I gave them enough bees...is it okay to add more bees say tomorrow and does it matter what hive the new bees I add come from?
Thanks all!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
A related (at least I think it is!) question:

Once you have a laying queen, but it appears that you don't have a lot of nurse bees (I figure I've got 2-3 rows of eyes staring up at me but the queen has laid eggs everywhere in my "new" hive that I split from my old one on May 5), can you apply the same philosophy, adding a frame or two of old/emerging capped brood to augment the hive? Or will this cause mayhem since I would be taking it from my existing hive?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yes, you can do it at any time. It will not cause "mayhem" as most of the bees you're transferring will be nurse/house bees. Any foragers that get switched will "get out of town" real quick and go back to their old hive. we routinely make our splits with capped brood from 2 or more hives; works just fine. If there's any fighting I haven't ever seen it and it would only last until the misplaced foragers get to the front door. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts