Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a double stacked 5 frame nuc and was wondering when I can move it into my ten frame deeps?
Do I just keep the frames in the same order?
The reason I'm asking is I pulled the cover and it was packed and tomorrow I will take a better look (when I have more time),So I figure I
ask now instead of taking it apart than wonder what to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Why are you concerned about being double stacked? If they need more space and you don't have another nuc body, I have moved them to a standard body using the pollen/honey frames on the outside and brood frames in the center. Try to keep the brood together and then I added a medium box on top for more space. This time of year you really can't screw it up too bad except not giving them room quick enough.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not concerned about being stacked but I've got a feeling that they filled almost all the frames in both nucs and just do not
want to make a mistake by moving them into the 10 frame deeps too soon.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If they are in a double stacked 5 frame nuc and both boxes are packed, you need to move them into a double 10 frame hive. If you move them into a single 10 frame they will still be overcongested. In this case, I would move all ten frames to the bottom box and put a box with comb or foundation above. put 5 frames from the lower box on one side of the bottom and the 5 from the other on the other side of the bottom. That way they are basically in the same configuration they were in in the stacked boxes, just now side by side with room to grow above.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If you want to keep them in nucs can you just add more nuc boxes and/or remove some frames to give to hives that could use a boost..or need to draw a Queen cell.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the advice,The top nuc was full all the way out,bottom nuc had only half of a frame left on each side to fill,queen was on one of outside frames in the bottom nuc.
So I went and put them in double deeps and they are looking good,With all the capped brood it looks like they are about ready to explode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts