Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed four nucs today. All went according to plan except for one. There are still a ton of bees left in the nuc box. I'd say close to 1/3. The bees that went into the hive are foraging and bringing back lots of pollen. Why are there so many bees still in the box? Bee Beehive Pattern Grass Plant Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'd guess Momma is still in the box. Open that particular hive back up, and give the box a good thwack or two into the new hive. Momma hasn't read the rule that she MUST stay on the frames!

Edited to add...I didn't pay attention to your location...I LOVE Belchertown! Grew up in the Boston area, and spent much time in Belchertown, Hadley, Northampton, etc. Beautiful area, for sure! (I gave up on your winters though!) Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Maybe the/a queen is in there.
I'd take the cover off of the hive and dump those bees right on top of the frames and give it a good knock while its
still upside down to get them all in. Let them move down between the frames and close the hive up. Do it fast. like now, it's getting dark.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I thought. There are a LOT of bees. Can I remove 3-4 frames and dump them into hole? And will the be ok overnight?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm with Clyde...do it quick, but be precise! Don't want to dump Momma onto the ground. Suit up if it's getting dark...they DO get testy! They'll only take a minute or two to go into the frames. Let them settle while holding the lid over the hive. Don't smash them in haste!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rain stopped. Open hive and almost spilled entire feeder of 1:1 syrup. Dumped the rest of the girls in. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
good for you, and them.
Leave them alone for a few days to settle in.
I wonder why you have 1:1 on them this time of year being that they are an established nuc?

·
Registered
825 Posts
JMP...Excellent! And please, this time of year up there, feeding should just be a short term thing! You have a buncha stuff going for the bees! I am not a feeding fan...My mother has hives in the Boston area, and they are booming! Easy on the feed, or they will back-fill (fill the comb with sugar crap syrup and queenie has no place to lay) What kind of resources did the Nucs have? Some honey in frames? Feeding may not be necessary at all....

·
Registered
62 Posts
If they are taking syrup then feed, if the flow is good they will let you know by not eating as much syrup. But feeding will speed up the frames being drawn out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts