Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cardboard nuc box that I have been saving for something and I put it outside and didn't realize it until this morning when I picked it up, it is full of bees. They have 2 frames that were in there already and have begun to draw comb down from the lid. What is the best method for getting these bees out and putting the comb and brood that they have into a hive body? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well, first thing's first, suit up on a nice warm day. Get some empty frames and rubber bands that will stretch the 9 inches without problems. Then light up your smoker and open them up. You may want to cut along the one side and lift the top off. Once off - decide it the combs are too new to place into the frames or full of brood. If full of brood, transfer them to the frames, place rubber bands around them to hold them in place till they fill in missing areas. Then put the rest of frames into the hive body. Make sure that you keep the frames in same order and be sure to dump remaining bees into the hive body when done.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Well done, Chipperbraves!

I've been watching the old pros around here complain about rarely or never actually getting swarms to use their traps, and here you've done it!

Probably better than the ones I'm paying good money for. I'm green with envy.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
I like a grid of fishing line better than rubber bands. I complete on side before the excitement. Then after laying the brood on the line and after filling tie another grid on pre partially sunk nails quickly and easily and staple the line and your there.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I like a grid of fishing line better than rubber bands. I complete on side before the excitement. Then after laying the brood on the line and after filling tie another grid on pre partially sunk nails quickly and easily and staple the line and your there.
Vance G - If there is one thing I love about this forum it's learning new methods that work. I love the idea with fishing line. What test line do you use 8#, and when you say "side" you do mean the side of the frame not the middle?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd love to see pictures or better yet a vid of this. :)

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
I use whatever test line I just took off a reel because it was getting old that I have yet to throw away. 8 would be good. My nails are driven into the sides of the frames. I can't post pictures here as I am not technically literate. Conceptualize!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A comment made earlier got me thinking. I looked at the nuc today and seen that they have comb hanging down about 4 inches and it stretches a little over half the length of the nuc cover. How do you tell if it is too new to place in hive body? I do think fishing line would work a little bit better than rubber bands though myself. The swarm in the box seems to be building up at a very quick pace though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts