Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new beekeeper I just picked up my first nuc today, looking forward to the new adventure. When I arrived home after a 75 mile drive I discovered the entrance to the nuc had not been closed when it was loaded into my pickup. It is a plastic nuc body, with a built-in closing device at the entrance. Shouldn't the entrance have been closed by their employee when he loaded the nuc?

I have not yet opened the nuc, figuring I will let it rest alongside the hive overnight and will install it tomorrow. Since I have never done this before I do not know that I will be able to judge how many bees I lost during the trip. What should I be looking for?

It was an expensive nuc and I expect it to perform well, but am concerned about what occurred. I have sent the provider an email about it.

How do you all suggest I handle this?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Set it approximately where it will be located and open it now!!!!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
As Jim said...put it where it where it will permanently go and make sure that the entrance is open. If left closed the bees may overheat and/or suffocate. The entrance being left open for the trip home may not be a big deal. The nurse bees will have stayed with the brood and queen. If you still have a good population when you install it....you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
As a new beekeeper I just picked up my first nuc today, looking forward to the new adventure. When I arrived home after a 75 mile drive I discovered the entrance to the nuc had not been closed when it was loaded into my pickup. It is a plastic nuc body, with a built-in closing device at the entrance. Shouldn't the entrance have been closed by their employee when he loaded the nuc?

I have not yet opened the nuc, figuring I will let it rest alongside the hive overnight and will install it tomorrow. Since I have never done this before I do not know that I will be able to judge how many bees I lost during the trip. What should I be looking for?

It was an expensive nuc and I expect it to perform well, but am concerned about what occurred. I have sent the provider an email about it.

How do you all suggest I handle this?
As long as you did not stop, you probably lost minimal to no bees. For whatever reason, in my experience, once the vehicle starts moving, the bees do not fly. Yes, the entrance should have been screened.

Like others have said, put the nuc where it's permanent location will be. And let the bees fly.

Shane

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like I will be OK. Moved the nuc next to the hive body, left the entrance open. Will install into the hive tomorrow. Will let you know what I find.

Kind of interesting way to start beekeeping. I knew it would be an adventure!

·
Registered
378 Posts
So was just about everybody present and accounted for this morning... Hurry go outside and bring your camera.. we are all awaiting the news/

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
>Shouldn't the entrance have been closed by their employee when he loaded the nuc?

Any Highway Patrolman will tell you that it is the responsibility of the DRIVER to check his load and vehicle safety. As in most locals it is illegal to spill any items from your truck other than chicken feathers and clean water, YOU would have been the person ticketed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I expect odfrank will be pleased to know that a careful census of the nuc shows I only lost 25 bees while evading the long arm of the law.

Seriously, the nuc is in great shape. Full of bees, very active. The installation went well, with very few bees even coming near my head. They are all installed, with sugar water for feed while they get their orientation. Bluebonnets, indian paintbrush, toadflax are all blooming, with the rest of my yard of wildflowers close behind. Feel pretty good for my first time with a bee suit, smoker, hivetool, and, oh yes, bees!

Will try to post photos, but did not have success last time I tried, and was unable to find a sticky on the proper procedure.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Seriously, the nuc is in great shape. Full of bees, very active. The installation went well, with very few bees even coming near my head. They are all installed, with sugar water for feed while they get their orientation. Bluebonnets, indian paintbrush, toadflax are all blooming, with the rest of my yard of wildflowers close behind. Feel pretty good for my first time with a bee suit, smoker, hivetool, and, oh yes, bees!
Great job. What kind of feeder do you have? Since feeding can cause robbing, I am very careful about feeding. Your nuc should have came with a frame of stores, and with all you have in bloom, you may not need to feed.

Just some food for thought,

Shane

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The nuc came with a delapadated frame feeder I chose not to use. I am using a ziploc on top of the inner cover. I will check in a few days and see if I need to replace or remove it.

Thanks for the thought.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts