Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like in my area that there are a lot more nucs available than packaged bees. If you miss the package bee window you're done.

Has anyone had success dropping a nuc into a top bar hive? Frames much different.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Typically you would have to cut them out and fix them to your top bars but someone recently showed pics of a hybrid TBH where it was the typical shape in the back but square up front so 5 frames could be dropped into the front and then they move back, I think they only used this set up to get starts off of though and didnt run it full time if I remember correctly

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking about. Make a top bar hive that has a straight section to slide in the 5 lang frames. But how to prepare for removal of the lang frames when you transition to a full top bar? Maybe easier to just wait till package season.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lots of ways to try this..some work!

Growing down: you remove the bottom of the nuc, gap the topbars and make an adaptor board. This is hit and miss at best and would generally need to be done in spring when the broad nest is expanding.

shake down/artificial swarm: you wait until before spring build up when brood is low and shake the bees into the new hive. Once the bees are off the comb you could cut it to shape and attach to topbars with wire/hairclips/cable ties etc to give them useable comb.

chop and crop: can work well, but can also be very messy. Search youtube. Basically you remove the side and bottom and cut the comb to shape for each frame. You then attach a shallower topbar to the top of the frame to make it thicker and create the continuous top. You will need at least two people and need to be well prepared.

bar introduction: remove some frame and put topbars in between drawn frames. The bees will build fresh comb on these bars and these can work as a way to transfer by either a) cycling out the frames b) wait til the queen is on this comb and laying and transfer over only then sacrificing some brood left on frames OR using it like a split and creating a new colony c) some combination with the methods above. If you do this make sure you don't leave the bars in so long the comb grows beyond you topbar shape.

converter: easier than it sounds if you have a spare brood or nuc. Join and standard nuc and topbar nuc together. Have a dummy/follower board at each end and add topbars as you remove frames.

best of luck

www.augustcottageapiary.wordpress.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts