Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 of my 5 hives kicked the bucket here in cold Wisconsin. I am planning on restarting those hives with 2 packages and trying 2 nucs. I assume the nucs come on drawn out deep frames???

When I install the nuc, do I install the bees and nuc frames in the deep box along with other frames needed to "fill out" the 10 frame deep or do I leave in just the frames that came with the nuc?

If I do need to add additional frames to "fill out" the deep, can they be frames that were drawn out from the previous colony or do I need to use undrawn frames? Thanks, juzzer

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
You will install the NUC frames in the brood box and if you can use drawn comb frames to fill in the brood box. I would make sure why your bee's died before using the drawn frames just in case.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I would put the nuc in a deep of drawn comb. Unless you want them to draw out new comb. I would rather put the combs into service than store it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks both of you. So if the drawn frames are okay to use, I will fill the remaining frame spots with existing drawn comb. I just wasn't sure if I needed to let them "fill out" the nuc frames first before adding more. But I guess the installation of a nuc isn't much of a different process than installing packages. juzzer

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nope, its just open up the new one, put it all in the hive, close the hive.

Make sure you do an inspection of the nuc though. Never know when you'll get one thats infested with mites, especially if where you buy them from touts itself as "treatment free".

I've got a nuc coming in soon, I've already bought some apiguard for it, just in case.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edymnion- When you say "put it all in the hive", do you mean the box that they come in as well? If so, how do they get out of the nuc box and into the hive? The videos that I watched on youtube just installed the frames and bees....no nuc box. Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
635 Posts
You're getting 5 frame nucs right? make sure you have space for the 5 frames in your new hive body. Put your 5 nuc frames in the 5 empty spaces. Discard the box they came in, or save it for a swarm trap, or whatever. It may not matter much, but i put the nuc frames in the brood box in the same order they came in.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Edymnion- When you say "put it all in the hive", do you mean the box that they come in as well? If so, how do they get out of the nuc box and into the hive? The videos that I watched on youtube just installed the frames and bees....no nuc box. Thanks, juzzer
Open nuc, put everything in the nuc into the hive (frames and all), close hive. If the nuc box is remotely well made, save it for later re-use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts