Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The state inspector just finished with our hives and told us that we better sell some packages or nucs fast before they head for the trees. A while later we had an offer for a 3 frame exchange with the purchaser bringing all the nucs with them. We've never sold bees this way and are wondering what an appropriate price might be (I know - whatever you can get). These are Miteless - SHBless bees - really.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Depending on your area a Nuc can sell from $75-95 but that is with a laying queen. Typically a frame of brood sells for between $10 and $20 depending on the area and demand.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Some sell frames of capped brood w/bees in some cases rather than selling whole nucs (boxes w/5 frames avg. $80-90). Customers bring their box with 3 new frames (exchange) you give them 3 frames of capped brood with bees to put in their boxes, they add the additional frames needed from their stock/inventory (assuming 4or 5 frames nucs) and their own queen. Its up to you what to sell the frames of brood for, lately I have been offered as low as $12.00 per frame and as high as $20.00 per frame. Your just selling the frame (bees w/brood) rather than a whole ready to go 5 frames nuc.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since they want a queen too, they are supplying the nucs, and we got to keep those bees out of the trees we are thinking $70 per nuc.... sound about right?

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea - we are supplying the queen too

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Make sure you figure in your queen cost plus the brood...don't short yourself. If you are happy with $70 then they are getting a pretty good deal. I would buy them from you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
$70 sounds like a sweet deal; around here 3-4 frame nucs go for about $90-125. Too bad I am too far for a trip and pick up a few nucs from you.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I don't sell much, but when I do, it's $15 per frame and $15 for the queen. 5 frame nucs are popular here, goes for $90. High retail at the bee store is $140 for a 5 frame nuc in cardboard nuc box, no frame exchange.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Capped brood $12 frame in quantity.
Queens $16-25 depending on quantity - average $20
Five frame ESTABLISHED (this is important) NUC $85-$90
most common is to establish NUCs for 4-6 weeks with 2 full frames capped brood plus ripe queen cell ($3-$5), well fed during during abundant pollen and covering 3-4 frames and well established at delivery - retail $85 plus exchange

·
Registered
368 Posts
Guess I got more of a deal than I thought with a 5-frame exchange (all open brood) and a queen on crack (Russian hybrid) for $65 in my own box. North Virginia.

I'll head back to that beek next spring...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts