Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Nuc frame exchange

3820 13
The state inspector just finished with our hives and told us that we better sell some packages or nucs fast before they head for the trees. A while later we had an offer for a 3 frame exchange with the purchaser bringing all the nucs with them. We've never sold bees this way and are wondering what an appropriate price might be (I know - whatever you can get). These are Miteless - SHBless bees - really.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Depending on your area a Nuc can sell from $75-95 but that is with a laying queen. Typically a frame of brood sells for between $10 and $20 depending on the area and demand.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Some sell frames of capped brood w/bees in some cases rather than selling whole nucs (boxes w/5 frames avg. $80-90). Customers bring their box with 3 new frames (exchange) you give them 3 frames of capped brood with bees to put in their boxes, they add the additional frames needed from their stock/inventory (assuming 4or 5 frames nucs) and their own queen. Its up to you what to sell the frames of brood for, lately I have been offered as low as $12.00 per frame and as high as $20.00 per frame. Your just selling the frame (bees w/brood) rather than a whole ready to go 5 frames nuc.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since they want a queen too, they are supplying the nucs, and we got to keep those bees out of the trees we are thinking $70 per nuc.... sound about right?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Make sure you figure in your queen cost plus the brood...don't short yourself. If you are happy with $70 then they are getting a pretty good deal. I would buy them from you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
$70 sounds like a sweet deal; around here 3-4 frame nucs go for about $90-125. Too bad I am too far for a trip and pick up a few nucs from you.

·
Registered
8 Frame mediums throughout
7,738 Posts
I don't sell much, but when I do, it's $15 per frame and $15 for the queen. 5 frame nucs are popular here, goes for $90. High retail at the bee store is $140 for a 5 frame nuc in cardboard nuc box, no frame exchange.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Capped brood $12 frame in quantity.
Queens $16-25 depending on quantity - average $20
Five frame ESTABLISHED (this is important) NUC $85-$90
most common is to establish NUCs for 4-6 weeks with 2 full frames capped brood plus ripe queen cell ($3-$5), well fed during during abundant pollen and covering 3-4 frames and well established at delivery - retail $85 plus exchange

·
Registered
368 Posts
Guess I got more of a deal than I thought with a 5-frame exchange (all open brood) and a queen on crack (Russian hybrid) for $65 in my own box. North Virginia.

I'll head back to that beek next spring...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.