Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10 plywood nuc boxes but am going to build several more. I would like to see plans or links to plans for your favorite plywood nuc boxes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hope this isn't off topic.
I like split box nucs, but what I have found is if you run 5 frames in each side with the divider, it's too tight. With 4 frames in each side, even with a 3/4" divider, it's too loose. Has anyone tried offsetting the divider so it will run 9 frames total? 5 on one side, 4 on the other?
What's the potential drawbacks, as I can't think of any.
Luke.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I like split box nucs, but what I have found is if you run 5 frames in each side with the divider, it's too tight. With 4 frames in each side, even with a 3/4" divider, it's too loose. Has anyone tried offsetting the divider so it will run 9 frames total? 5 on one side, 4 on the other?
Luke.
The only drawback I can think of is if you want separate supers for the split nuc you'll have to make two different sizes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Luke.
You could use two pieces of 3/4" ply to make a 1 1/2" divider and make two four frame. It keeps 3/4" of play in a 6 1/16" wide box with four frames in each nuc. The 3/4" of room is close to most 8 and 10 frame boxes full of frames.

·
Registered
623 Posts
go with the 'coates' nuc design here on beesource. they work great and will never use another design again. economical and a snap to build. i have 40 more stacked and ready to build when i need them. booyah !

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have looked over several designs and I agree the Coates look like a good design. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
144 Posts
You could shave 1/8 inch off the end bars of the frames and 5 will fit then. That's what folks do when they run 11 frames in a 10 frame brood box and that's what I do in my 4 frame nucs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You could shave 1/8 inch off the end bars of the frames and 5 will fit then. That's what folks do when they run 11 frames in a 10 frame brood box and that's what I do in my 4 frame nucs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Snookie you have way too much time on your hands. Where I put swarm traps those country bees would say that house is way above our raisins.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts