Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a split near the end of July. All went well, they made their queen. She got mated, and she is huge, the largest I have. Anyway she started laying, and she is a laying machine. They started in a five frame nuc. My plan was to try to overwinter them in the nuc. Last week I added another box on top with all foundationless, and have been feeding. They have drawn all but one completely out, and the last one they are about thirty percent done. She has laid in all of them. There is only on frame in the entire hive that has capped stores. The rest are eggs and brood in different stages. So how should I manage this hive. Should I put them in a ten frame and add another deep or just add another five frame on top. The golden rod is just starting to bloom here.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Either way could work. How strong do you expect the golden rod flow to be? Answering that may give you insight as to which way to do it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
To each his own but I usually put them into a ten frame deep and go from there.

I believe you've found what a lot of us have found. Home grown queens born after the summer solstice are unbelievable.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some thought, I guess I will just add another five frame box. If they get too crowded, I can always then move them into ten frame boxes.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I would leave them in their nuc also and taper off feeding. It sounds like they have no natural forage stored. I think it is a disadvantage to try to winter on sugar water. They might miss what goldenrod there is if you keep feeding.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I should have stated that I have not been feeding for about four days. Once I saw that the golden rod was about to bloom I stopped feeding. I believe what I was feeding they used to draw comb, what is capped looks like honey, very dark. Mr. Palmer, with the amount of brood and eggs laid, do you not think I should add a box for them to try to store?

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Well, I don't know your area, and I don't know how fast they will draw foundationless comb. If they will draw it right off, and store feed in it, then I would say do it, if you are afraid they might swarm or abscond.

There are folks that run nucleus colonies in MD and VA. Why not ask them what they would do. Winevines on this list would answer you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If a third box was not desired, could he pull a frame from each box and donate to another hive, filling in with empty frames?

·
Registered
213 Posts
The third box is to store enough feed til March. I have wintered on 2 boxes with an inch of sugar on top, they ate that and had to give them sugar bricks. So 3 boxes is what I go with. Mini mating nucs will get 3 also....,,,, Pete

·
Registered
72 Posts
what's a good fall goal for these nucs? a 5 over 5 nuc with 50% stores? (i'm asking for myself, not the OP.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
what's a good fall goal for these nucs? a 5 over 5 nuc with 50% stores? (i'm asking for myself, not the OP.)
I just asked that question today of a local beek in regards to nucs in this area. He shoots for 5x5x5, and is ready to feed fondant if necessary, especially if they don't fill the third box.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
When does a nuc consume most of it's stores? Brooding up in the spring or eating up in the winter to keep warm?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts