Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I highly recommend to listen through a NPR talk aired this morning regarding the food overproduction.

People may have different opinions, but this topic directly applies to commercial beekeeping too I think.
Everyone wins from overproduction but the farmer himself/herself.
The same for a beekeeper.

Take a listen:

Tue, 11/27/2018 - 6:00am The Morning Show
Wisconsin Agriculture Takes A Hit From Overproduction....
We explore how overproduction may be the biggest challenge facing Wisconsin farmers now.

https://www.wpr.org/programs/archives/all?date=2018-W48

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
what it comes down to as one person said, the farmers don't want the govt. to tell them what to do, until they keep expanding and over produce, then they want govt. money to keep them afloat. sort of like elap for beeks, an inexpensive program for the govt. that keeps behavers afloat, the logical thing to do is let the poor beeks go under, and go work for the ones that can keep their bees alive:ws:

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what it comes down to as one person said, the farmers don't want the govt. to tell them what to do, until they keep expanding and over produce, then they want govt. money to keep them afloat. sort of like elap for beeks, an inexpensive program for the govt. that keeps behavers afloat, the logical thing to do is let the poor beeks go under, and go work for the ones that can keep their bees alive:ws:
Don't get in my way for as long as I can get rich.
Bail me out when I am going bankrupt.
"Great approach" having it both ways.
OK, we get this part.

Did you get the part about how all the stakeholders (chemical companies, seed companies, drug companies, banks, cargo companies, equipment companies, politicians) - ALL want the farmer to produce more and more and more.
Because this is how THEY make their money.

Actually, the farmer should just produce LESS, work LESS and charge MORE for the product.
One can not drink and eat the money (no matter how much money they got) - have to have that milk.
Should really stop listening to all these "stakeholders" because they are just same as varroa mites, sitting on the farmer's back.

Now look, how this same picture works around the beekeepers.
What is up with all these ideas around here about making MORE and MORE and MORE honey?
How about making less honey and charging more for it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Market economics has a interesting twist. That is - As long as a producer is making a nominal profit other producers will jump in. When you import a commodity for less than producers can bring their product to market prices will stay down. Its economics.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If we make less they will import more. It forces a beekeeper to produce more at cheaper prices to make the money they want. Small farms are gone due to the need to make more at lower or the same prices they had 50 years ago. I sold cotton in 1976 for .55 a pound. 2.6 bales to the acre. Same kind of prices and production today. My picker cost me $85,000 but they are $600,000 now. They pick three times as much cotton as mine did and they do a better job but they are 7 times more expensive. Not to mention operating costs being 7 times more. Labor was 2.25 an hour. Diesel was 40 cents.
Honey is up higher than it was in the 70's. But has it kept pace with the costs of operation? No way. In the gas wars of the 70's I remember paying 16 cents a gallon. It forces a beekeeper to produce more to make the same living.
Some of us that have just been commercial honey are looking more and more at California. Whats that going to do to those prices when some of us start sending 4 or 5 loads out there?
Our government needs to protect our prices. Anti dumping laws are great if they are truly pursued. They half ass it like they do everything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts