Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read all kinds of stuff over the years, I'm sure somebody like Mr. Musk will figure something out if it's really needed. My bees are doing fine, treated for mites 4 times this year, not the best honey crop, and the fall crop was really poor, but my hives went into winter heavy. checked about half today, all are heavy and alive, two must have swarmed late as they are in the top and soiling the back of the hive. would be nice if they would get a warm day to take a break. Many beeks around here had problems again with mite bombs late. hope yours are doing fine.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I've read all kinds of stuff over the years, I'm sure somebody like Mr. Musk will figure something out if it's really needed. My bees are doing fine, treated for mites 4 times this year, not the best honey crop, and the fall crop was really poor, but my hives went into winter heavy. checked about half today, all are heavy and alive, two must have swarmed late as they are in the top and soiling the back of the hive. would be nice if they would get a warm day to take a break. Many beeks around here had problems again with mite bombs late. hope yours are doing fine.
I heard that there were beekeepers up there (mostly migratory I think) that claimed the Oxalic acid wasn’t working as well as expected. I had a lot of mites this past Fall also, even with the treatments, and I had 3 hives on one end of a bench that had piles of dead bees in front of, too many for robbing, and when inspected it looked like either late swarms or absconding. Im going for swarming because the frames/cells were very “polished” looking and not a drop of honey in the bottom deep. We luckily had a large honey crop, and some very weird weather. I bought Saskatraz queens (5) in May from CA and by August, 3 of the hives had swarmed.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard that there were beekeepers up there (mostly migratory I think) that claimed the Oxalic acid wasn’t working as well as expected.
the oxalic is working just fine, the concentration of bees and the lack of some people treating bees is one major problem, the other is two years ago we had terrible mite bombs go off, many people resupplied with bees, well two years later they are at it again. I'll paste an email I sent out to beeks who treat.

remember two years ago and our discussion off if it was mite bombs that cause the hives to crash or not. below I have a friend whose neighbors hives were crashing and what went on in her hives. she has 4 hives, one overwintered that was treated with apivar in the spring, and 3 nucs where the source hives were also treated with apivar in the spring. The neighbor has 5 Russian? hives in his back yard, and can't communicate with him as he only speaks russian.

we did an alcohol roll on her hives the middle of July, and found one mite in one hive. she decided to use MAQ pro anyway, but we should have done a wash after but didn't. also I looked at her stickies to make sure she was counting real mites, I wouldn't have spent the time but she did.

Mike,
Here is my summary to date. It looks like I need to keep at it. Monday doesn't look too bad. Would I need to treat Bob's hive and the split considering the no flying weather?

Formic Pro treatments
8/16, 1 strip each hive
8/30, 1 strip each hive (too hot to apply before this date)
9/23 - 9/28 sticky boards
Pink hive = 188, avg 37.6 per 24 hrs
Blue hive = 133, avg 26 per 24 hrs
White hive = 86, avg 17.2 per 24 hrs

10/14 - 10/18 sticky boards on for 75 hrs
Pink = 524, avg 167.68 per 24 hrs
Blue = 320, avg 102 per 24 hrs
White = 17, avg 5 per 24 hrs

10/19 ProVap110, 1 g per box, sticky boards inserted
10/22 count per 3 days
Pink = 2,439, avg 813 per 24 hrs
Blue = 1,269, avg 423 per 24 hrs
White = 844, avg 281 per 24 hrs

10/22 ProVap, no sticky boards

10/26 ProVap, sticky boards inserted
10/29, 74 hour count
Pink = 1,082, avg 351 per 24 hrs
Blue = 1,499, avg 486 per 24 hrs
White = 44, avg 14 per 24 hrs

10/30 ProVap, sticky boards inserted
11/2, 3 day count
Pink = 1128, avg 376 per 24 hrs
Blue = 830, avg 277 per 24 hrs
White = 13, avg 4 per 24 hrs

11/2 ProVap, sticky boards inserted
11/5, 3 day count
Pink = 516, avg 172 per 24 hrs
Blue = 455, avg 152 per 24 hrs
White = no sticky board inserted

11/6, 24 hour count with no treatment
Pink = 79
Blue = 36

11/7 ProVap, sticky boards inserted
11/10, 3 day count
Pink = 572, avg 191 per 24 hrs
Blue = 181, avg 60 per 24 hrs
White = no sticky board inserted

she did a few more treatments and once it got cold the numbers finally dropped down to still high but reasonable levels. So I had her take sample and we used my scheduled sample and sent her bees. if I can find it I'll attach it below. amazing how many mites infiltrated, the other thing that was interesting, the old hive and the nuc off of it had no invasion, the other two got overloaded, and through it all only a couple of bees a day showed deformed wing, and the worst hive for mites, kept raising brood, that's the one we sent a virus check on. mike

the virus check came back with low counts, no mites, no nosema, high body weight, in great shape for winter:applause: now add up those mite counts and there were more mites than bees in that hive.:waiting: and the reason this was a good test, the only hives in the area are her next door neighbor, it's a shame he doesn't speak english. The other thing I forgot to post, I went up and checked here hives on a sunny morning was 40 degrees F, the two hives with the highest mite counts were flying like they had a summer flow on, coming in landing and running in the hive, bees looked loaded, so even late into Nov. they were still robbing out the hives.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Wow, that’s mucho mites! So she doesn’t know if her neighbor monitors for mites and/or treats? Sounds similar to mine. I lost 24% over last winter including April loss, none by mites, most loss of queen ( a few were swarms). I did not treat this year till 8/2 with ox vap for a knockdown. Did some sugar rolls and treated with formic pro 8/12 and 8/24 for high mite rolls. The highest was 16 per ½ c. I did not roll again but treated all hives on 10/7. I kept cleaning th3 sticky boards and treated 2-3 more times. I didn’t count them but there was a lot. I have a lot of beekeepers in my area that get lazy with their bees. My goal is to keep a sustainable apiary; the last bees we bought were in 2016. I’m not including the two beautiful Vermont bred queens that were added this year. :) Lucky me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If that was my neighbor I would sneak over to his hives and TREAT THEM. Be doing him a favor. Those are some insane mite drops.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Mike, “The neighbor has 5 Russian? hives in his back yard, and can't communicate with him as he only speaks russian.” I feel he does know communicable English, they all do. He just doesn’t want to talk with her. Maybe she could mention the State Bee Inspector is coming to take a look; she would get a reaction from that, and he wouldn’t know we don’t really have any inspectors anymore. Deb

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
If that was my neighbor I would sneak over to his hives and TREAT THEM. Be doing him a favor. Those are some insane mite drops.[/QUOT

Yes they are.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, “The neighbor has 5 Russian? hives in his back yard, and can't communicate with him as he only speaks russian.” I feel he does know communicable English, they all do. He just doesn’t want to talk with her. Maybe she could mention the State Bee Inspector is coming to take a look; she would get a reaction from that, and he wouldn’t know we don’t really have any inspectors anymore. Deb
well actually she was going to get a friend of her's that speaks russian to talk to him, but she doesn't think he will treat any way, I did suggest she offer to treat the hives for him, we will see this spring. We could only see that one was alive because he has chickens running around and I think they were eating up the dead bees.
As far as inspectors according to informed sources, EPSHP is rewriting the bee laws for Markets and ags to require registration, and last I knew, actually I can't remember exactly, either non beeks from Market and ags or people from Cornell are going to be the enforcement people, so you will probably see more people hiding hives behind houses and in chicken coups.:eek: we are already having people drop off our email and FB from the club.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are some insane mite drops.
the numbers are interesting as she seems to have caught it early on, I was going to try and run the mite counts through Randy Olivers mite calculator but got sidetracked. The other interesting thing about the numbers, is around the same time there were beeks on bee-l in other states showing the same problem, just they weren't counting all the mites, just speculating. the third interesting fact, was two hives mite counts were pretty normal, while the other two sky rocketed, why did those two not get involved, one was low enough she didn't even count it?? But the number of mites, and the fact that not all hives were affected, matches two years ago, when people lost half a yard of bee hives, while the other half made it to spring. I liked it better just 3 years ago I could treat twice a year and be confidant that my hives were good to go, I can still do that in areas where everyone is treating. bummer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts