Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my adventures continue. I'm wanting as many hives as possible going into winter so I have something to start with next year. I started with a swarm late somewhere in april/may, that I have since split. The original is now laying like mad in my first Top Bar :)D) and I have confirmed a laying queen in the original 10 frame deep (now with 5 frames and top bars)/ Now at this point I wish I could raise two queens to start some nucs to overwinter. I can actually make an 8 bar nuc for somewhere around $8 :lpf: . still though, that leaves the issue of raising queens.

So, for next year, anyone have some good vids on how to get started on raising some queens?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Take your good queen and a frame of brood and one of Honey. Make a three to five frame nuc ( if going with five frames put drawn or open frames in too). Leave plenty of fresh,day old eggs, in the n w queenless hive. They will make queen cells. Mark down exactly when you do this. There should be queen cups developed by day four or five. As soon as these are capped you can add them to another nuc you make up using frames of brood, honey and drawn or open frames. Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
The University of Minnesota has a DVD and workbook course that you can order. I don't remember how much it cost, but it goes into great detail on how to raise good queens.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
So, for next year, anyone have some good vids on how to get started on raising some queens?
Really? There are enough threads on queen rearing here to give you reading for a month. YouTube and interweb information for many months of research. Have you even tried to look? Posts like yours make me wonder. Are you looking for queen rearing information or a cookie for deciding that you want to make queens? Maybe if you had written about the type of queen rearing you would like to try I'give some credence to your post because such a general question will only result in 100 replies before making a determination on your intended outcome. I'm confused also by your interest in trying to increase the number of hives. Way too much pressure on your bees and you WILL end up with nothing next year. Also remember that there are studies that show a queen from a primary swarm, which is likely what your original swarm was, will supercede the Queen in 2-3 months. I'm sure you read this though???

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sovek- sorry no vids to offer, just books. Dr. C.C. Miller, "Better Queens" by Jay Smith, and if you want to graft,
Contemporary Queen Rearing by Harry Laidlaw Jr.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Challenger, was that REALLY necessary? I could go searching for it yes, but then I spend time having to deal with not-so good advice, or things I need not be doing in the first place. And yes, I'm sure it was swarm preps, as every single frame was drawn, and filled, and the entire box was filled with bees. In fact, if they were so bent on supercedure, they probably would have done it by now, or started on it in the TBH, they havnt. She's actually been laying so well that every single bar that has comb is filled, and any new comb already has eggs in it. Heck, some cells havnt been fully drawn yet but she stuck an egg in it anyway. I have 3 LARGE combs of nothing but capped brood. The hive is exploding. If they were so bent on supercedure, they probably would have done it by now. And I was also following advice of a beek with likely more experience than you.

And a nuc started now doesnt take that many bees and its all about density. Whats better, 2 hives with 2 queens with a couple thousand extra bees (that can be replaced in a day) or 4 queens in 4 hives laying and prepping for winter? You do realize that I could make up several nucs, get some queens around august, and split the 2 strong hives into 6-8 nucs to overwinter as michael palmer does. And since our winters are pretty darn mild, 7 bars of stores for 3 lbs of bees is plenty.

But thanks for those that HAVE actually given some advice.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Opinions are like noses and some sure are bigger than others. Queen rearing on the scale you are talking about could be as simple as a very strong 5 frame nuc or the equivalent and make it queen less. Feed them the whole time to help the bees cope with the stress better and place a frame of eggs in center. Carefully cut the queen cells out. Or you could graft... Lots to learn but you can do it.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Really? There are enough threads on queen rearing here to give you reading for a month. YouTube and interweb information for many months of research.
Just FYI. asking for recommendation is a common way to sort through the useless fodder and get to the more reliable sources of information. The months of largely useless drivel you are recommending as a fine example of what to avoid.

I like Micheal Bush and Micheal Palmer for queen rearing guidelines. I also have had Increase Essentials and Contemporary Queen Rearing recommended frequently and consistently. from there you will be fairly well set to read other information and be capable of sorting the garbage from the useful information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts