Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm getting my first box o' bees in a week and a half and have the hive and yard all set. I'm pretty excited about it and a little worried at the same time. Been making contact with lots of organizations and individuals for support and advice. I'm told this forum is a must especially for beginners.
Anyway, I have three acres in Lancaster NY bordering a quarry and lots of greenery around. I bought a cypress hive kit from Rossman and am getting bees from Kelley. I put beeswax foundation in the deep frames but I opted for wax-coated plastic for the supers. Anyone have any thoughts on this plan while I still have time to change it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is indeed coated with wax. And as the spot I've cleared for the hive gets a bit swampy in the winter I built a stand of treated 2X8s to elevate the whole deal. I've read different recipes for the sugar syrup to feed them after they're hived but the most popular seems to be boiling a 1:1 water to sugar mixture until dissolved and letting it cool. Can I use this for the spray for the foundation just prior to putting them in the hive?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Please do not boil the water with sugar in it. A by-product toxic to bees hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF), is formed as long as the sugar solution is over 120 degrees. The only reason to boil the water is to dissolve the sugar and very hot water with agitation will do that. HMF is suggested as one of the causes of CCD.

·
Registered
371 Posts
welcome!!! i am also from WNY! I make my sugar syrup by using hot tap water and a spoon. Just put the hot tap water in with the sugar and stir, the sugar will disolve and there will be no problems. Enjoy the obsession, its a great hobby!!!!!:D:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts