Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going to be warm for the next 5 or 6 days. high 60's. Could i feed them this late to top them off for winter? If so what ratio?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Give them 2:1 as much as they will take, especially if they seem a little light for your winters.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
In Ma here, took out unused 2:1 syrup the other day as I put in burlap.
I left it outside wed late afternoon. It was 66° yesterday and it was gone by 3 pm. There was about Gallon in there.
I'm planning on feeding more with the high temps, even though I will be feeding someone else's bees green syrup too lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was surprised to see pollen still coming in. I can't figure out where they are getting it from. It is bright orange and stacked on their legs in huge clumps. They are not very interested in food it seems as I brought some empty honey pails to clean out and so far there was no interest although bees are flying all over the yard. Top feeders are also not getting much attention - they take 2:1 but very slowly, even the hives that I believe would need more food. Temperatures are in +20C range...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was surprised to see pollen still coming in. I can't figure out where they are getting it from. It is bright orange and stacked on their legs in huge clumps. They are not very interested in food it seems as I brought some empty honey pails to clean out and so far there was no interest although bees are flying all over the yard. Top feeders are also not getting much attention - they take 2:1 but very slowly, even the hives that I believe would need more food. Temperatures are in +20C range...
We still have white aster blooming here in Georgia despite two heavy frosts in the last week. All the pollen I saw was that orange red pollen. The golden rod and everything else stopped blooming already.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I've had pollen sub on a solid bottom board with lid for over a month. Never a bee in it. Yesterday and today they are hitting it pretty hard. A few days ago they were still bringing in very orange goldenrod (I presume). We are at 2000' elevation in TN and same frosts you speak of killed off everything. On the bright side, the thousands of yellow jackets are mostly gone.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
743 Posts
Had a convo with a local bee pro and they helped me understand why I had to feed so much pollen sub. They confirmed that the pollen was not as plentiful and if they were taking it that it was wise to feed it this summer. I had gotten criticism from some folks on the boards for continuing to feed patties when pollen was coming in but they said if the bees are still consuming it there was a reason why. Obviously we're switching over to winter feed but thought I would convey that message. Refreshed the sugar slurry and spritzed water on the sponge and they are all looking great.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I had gotten criticism from some folks on the boards for continuing to feed patties when pollen was coming in but they said if the bees are still consuming it there was a reason why. Obviously we're switching over to winter feed but thought I would convey that message. Refreshed the sugar slurry and spritzed water on the sponge and they are all looking great.
Glad they are healthy! :D I didn't know feeding pollen was even a thing until I saw Kamon and Laurel doing it. After making some available my cells started looking milky. Coincidence? doubt it. Stop it? not a chance.

As many posts as you have done, I'm sure you're accustomed to being shouted down. I've noticed most of the guys who have been in it for 20-30-40 years will give you a humble suggestion based on wisdom and experience. Even they have some radically different views/practices from one another, but you won't hear the wrist-slaps you get from self-proclaimed experts. Disclaimer: I've killed a few hundred thousand bees with my ignorance, so I'm not one to take advice from. Keep us posted! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts