Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Ian, March come in like a lion and it looks like she is going out like a lion. We broke 18 records for low temps last night and tonight is to be colder.

·
Registered
617 Posts
14 C in sioux falls this morning and better in Florida tonight. Feels lambish to me.:) Ian I felt a little guilty not heading to cooks and Beal for a pick up instead of heading for Florida.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
ha ha ah ha, who made up that lamb lion thing anyway! dgl1948, hows the bees look?

this week end, better get back here Allen! Im optimistic !

Better check on your delivery Allen, it did not arrive with the rest today! Duly noted with the trucker( who did not seem to care!!) , and I sent the word back to Carol.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hey thanks Ian. Saw your email after my post. Sent you an email reply. Will check into it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Yep back on Friday just in time to move out. Snow disappeared quickly as soon as we drove South. They were suppose to get 12+ inches in this last storm.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ha ha ah ha, who made up that lamb lion thing anyway! dgl1948, hows the bees look?

this week end, better get back here Allen! Im optimistic !

Better check on your delivery Allen, it did not arrive with the rest today! Duly noted with the trucker( who did not seem to care!!) , and I sent the word back to Carol.
I have not been able to give them a good check as of yet. One day when the temp was not to bad I went to a yard. There seemed to be bees at a lot of the top entrances so fingers are crossed. One good thing is we have not had any warm spell that would have got the queens going. I think this is when you get some losses. The bees want to stay on the brood and when the temps drops for an extended period of time we lose them.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I am growing to Hate the month of March...Today we had an 80 km/hr wind blowing -15degreesC air... took all those happy spring thoughts away

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
80 degrees (26C) forecast tomorrow, drones flying daily, queens started. North Alabama

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Our kids in Dawson Creek are still a bit shellshocked over the first real northern winter they have experienced, but it's a good growing experience for them :)

Here on the coast, little bit different story. We had a degree of frost last nite, but it's 19C right now on a beautiful sunny day. Bees are bringing in a LOT of pollen. Got a text message from my wife a little while ago, she has spotted the first blooming dandelion in front of her office today. The warm weather may be on it's way for you folks yet, it's arrived here, and only needs to push past the mountains now.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Terribly slow spring again this year... the country side sits under a blanket of snow again. By the looks of the forecast we will be getting a good week of February weather.... spring conditions like these sure take the fun out of this business... talk about testing a mans patience!!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
How curious; down here, we've had a record mild winter. Only about one week in December with frosty nights, and temperatures at or near freezing. Other than that week, the nights have been at or near 50F (10C), almost all winter, with the daytime temperatures even warmer, of course. Now we're having daytime temps over 90F (32C), and nights around 60F (15.5C).

I already produced a batch of nucs and queens and am working on more.

We had a spring like wildflower flow, that started in mid-January, begun by winter rain that happened in November. And for the first time since I've been here (more than twenty years now), the mesquite flow has begun before 15 April - which is the date it began every year prior to this one.

Here's to sharing the warmth; I hope it spreads to more northern latitudes, soon.

-------------------
I once participated in joint forces exercises at CFB Cold Lake. I know that's in Alberta, but it's not too far from Manitoba, at least they share similar latitudes. I was only there in the heart of summer, but will always remember how gorgeous it was there.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Ian,
Hang in there, our weather is behind too. While not like yours we are three weeks behind where we should be. minus 2 this morning, keeps up like this the fruit trees will suffer. When all your snow melts will that cause you a challenge too? my sister in law in Winnipeg is saying they are concerned.
Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sat 12 Apr -2°C Sun 13 Apr-2°C -12°C Mon 14 Apr -4°C -16°C Tue 15 Apr -6°C -15°C Wed 16 Apr -5°C -17°C Thu 17 Apr 1°C -12°C Fri 18 Apr 5°C -7°C

Here is our 7 day forcast.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts