Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a top cover. However, I want to use a notched one. Does anyone see a problem in cutting out my own notch into the cover? Fyi, it's the Mann Lake 10 frame top cover. I was going to use the small notch on the entrance reducer as a template. This may be a dumb question, but I'm a first-timer so cut me some slack! :eek:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I already have a top cover. However, I want to use a notched one. Does anyone see a problem in cutting out my own notch into the cover? Fyi, it's the Mann Lake 10 frame top cover. I was going to use the small notch on the entrance reducer as a template. This may be a dumb question, but I'm a first-timer so cut me some slack! :eek:
Are you referring to the inner cover?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Top cover could be a Telescoping Cover, Migratory Cover, Inner Cover (am I forgetting something)...

I have 'entrances' in the Migratory covers and Inner covers to allow for air flow. The migratory cover can be pushed one way or the other to block that entrance if needed as it's made with a gap in the 1/4" rim at one end. The Telescoping cover can be pushed back and forth to close off the inner cover entrance which sits under the Telescoping cover. Some people make 'entrances' in the hive bodies themselves that they plug with corks.

There is no rule you have to do it 'our' way.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the inner cover, then yes, I have done it. Don't over think it with the template. Just cut the wood with a hand saw until you get down to the lauan. Then use a chisel to pop out the notch. You'll probably have to make a few cuts and chisel out pieces. Also, look at the cover and make sure
that if the board isn't sitting center in the frame of the cover, that you cut your notch in the deeper side, otherwise your notch may not be big enough for bees to use as an entrance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've "notched" several that were accidentally bought without the upper entrance notch. Piece 'o cake.

·
Registered
223 Posts
And if you find that you don't want the notch later (like when we were having a bad time with yellow jackets), I just stick some duct tape on it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Or just push the outer telescoping cover forward and close off the entrance. No hardware cloth, no tape, no flipping inner covers.

·
Registered
864 Posts
They'll be ok. I have pushed the covers forward during robbing incidents in late summer. No issues. I think ventilation is more important in the winter in which the outer cover would be pulled back to expose the entrance. By no means am i saying cover forward for summer and pulled back for winter. I leave the upper entrance exposed almost always, just close it off when needed for example... oa treatment, robbing issues, or moving a hive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts