Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had few good flying days here, barely 50 deg, but what I've noticed on my only hive is that they're not using the bottom entrance. All traffic coming and going out of the top vent. Mouse guard is still on and they have been dragging out some dead bees from the bottom entrance. I've pulled the mouse guard off briefly to check for any kind of blockage, none noticed. Its been too cold here to do more than pop the top. Last week still had some sugar bricks left and I added a pollen patty, earlier in the year they were all clustered at the top even clinging to it when tilted it up to check. Haven't seen any pollen coming in yet.
Are they just doing this cause they're clustered in the top super? Hive is 1 deep with 3 mediums.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Are they just doing this cause they're clustered in the top super? Hive is 1 deep with 3 mediums.
That is very likely. They are probably clustered right under your sugar blocks.

When the temperatures warm up a little the cluster will loosen and they will be more active with their housecleaning activities. Then you should see more bees using the bottom entrance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Also check for debris/dead bees that might be making them eschew using the lower entrance simply because it's inconvenient. If it's too congested, it may be difficult for them to "clean up" and they are just choosing to come and go via the easier route.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No blockage, just checked bottom entrance with stick, peeked under the lid still bees clustered near the top. 49 degrees right now, maybe 1 or 2 bees flying, no pollen coming in. Maples are bloom. This hive got blown over in jan on a 32 degree day. Have since seen alot of bees flying (feb3rd by my bee log) not much since. Wondering if they arent queenless. Shouldn't they be making brood by now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts