Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up packaged bees tomorrow. I haven' been very happy with the quality of the queens the last few years and I have 2 hives that have wintered over the last 2 years-(not from package bees)-figuring I have nothing to lose, I was thinking of not giving the pkgs the queen they come with and just hiving them with a few frames of brood -possibly a queen cell if there is one. I was going to make some splits from them anyway. Good idea or bad?
thanks,
---Deb
PS-don't think I'll be ordering pkg's any more

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The bees in the package are not necessarily young bees. The added time for them to make their own queen will make it tough for them to be good nurse bees. Hive them with the queen in the package. At your leisure, generate a queen of your liking and requeen them once the hive is full of young bees.

Roland

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I would do a split from a good hive letting them raise a queen. Install the package with queen that came with them. Once the split has a laying queen that shows good quality. Eliminate the queen form the package then introduce the new queen. This enables the package to get out of gate faster and the new queen can take over the hive that is well established.

I have found that a high percentage of queen that come with a package will be superseded in the first month.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the delayed thanks! I did what you both said and gave them the queen. Have 2 strong hives that are 3 high and I'm sure to find some queen cells there and will re-queen with small splits. That's why I throw these things out there because I don't think of everything! I want to use the bees I have already for queens because they have wintering over for years.
Thanks again for being there!
-------Deb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts