Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While clearing off for some more hives yesterday I made an amazing discovery. A human leg will NOT stop a chainsaw chain. As a matter of fact it didn't even seem to slow it down. Anyway, I ended up with 5 stiches and a lesson in keeping the saw away from your body.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
While clearing off for some more hives yesterday I made an amazing discovery. A human leg will NOT stop a chainsaw chain. As a matter of fact it didn't even seem to slow it down. Anyway, I ended up with 5 stiches and a lesson in keeping the saw away from your body.
get some chaps they work

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Like a warm knife in butter.
I was working in a hospital er some years ago when they brought in a pulpwooder whose chainsaw had kicked back. Needless to say, he didn’t survive. This was a fellow who used one all day, every day.
They scare the daylights out of me. I’ll use one….but it ain’t fun and I’m not careless.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Wishing you a speedy recovery from your mishap. I found out a few years ago that a finger will not slow down the dado blade on a table saw either. No stiches, but I did learn a new use for blue shop towels and duct tape. Only lost about 1/8" of fingertip.

Reactions: fadder

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I like my 36" bow saw with a good sharp blade. It will cut thru any tree that I want at my house and has a low risk of serious injury. I don't have a lot of trees or collect firewood very often, so a chain saw would also be overkill. I was able to cut down a 25 ft tree (way to close to the house foundation) with a bow saw and loppers. Chain saws scare me

·
Registered
609 Posts
The first time I cut my jeans with the chainsaw, I bought chaps. I am clumsy enough that I knew my day was coming.

Glad it wasn't worse for you, get better soon!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wishing you a speedy recovery from your mishap. I found out a few years ago that a finger will not slow down the dado blade on a table saw either. No stiches, but I did learn a new use for blue shop towels and duct tape. Only lost about 1/8" of fingertip.
☺ Mine was one of those" Man that was Stupid " moments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OH no! 😱 Your post supports my husband's opposition to me owing a chain saw.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,451 Posts
Julie,

just KNOW that whatever part of your leg or foot the saw runs into will bleed profusely.
Just like guns need to only be pointed at what you intent to kill.
Most tools have a way to use them to the determent of your well being.

Learn respect and use tools in the proper manner and you will be fine.
A car used improperly can end your life as well, and you still drive.

read the safety stuff that came with the saw. most places that sell, have safety videos, watch them , get the safety gear, and then saw away.

i have wore out 3 saws and am on the 4th. nicked some shoes , tore some jeans, never drew blood, use with care also know your strength limits, for me 1 tank in a non stop use has the need for rest, all my "almost" incidents were on tank 2 or 3 in the same day when fatigued.

good luck

Husqvarna Fan , Square corner, commercial 20 inch chain user
logs right.jpg

cut enough logs for 10,000 BF of lumber last year.

have a safe routine and stay with it.

GG

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't blame the saw I should have cut it off.....the saw, not the leg 😁....before walking across the branches I was cutting.
If you do get a saw order chaps as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hint, hint: Absolutely never ever has there been any contest between flesh and metal. The one wins "every" time.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The saying we used in the oilfields was, "the steel don't feel a thing."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts