Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into my hive for my first inspection today after releasing my queen. It's been about a week and a half since I released her, and I would have been in sooner, but we've had some cold rainy days this week. Anyway, when I opened the hive up, I saw eggs, larvae, capped brood, and pollen. I'm not sure what I'm looking for as far as nectar, so any help would be appreciated there. But my real question is in regards to the attached picture. They have started to build comb off of the top of the frame and not on the foundation so there is now a gap between the foundation and the comb they've built. If I remember correctly, they've started to store pollen in some of the cells too. Do I scrape off this comb they've built or do I leave it? Any help is appreciated!
Frame.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yea you need to get that comb off. It will get worse. Keep the frames tight together. If that frame is an outside frame turn it around after you clean it. Just wondering are you using plastic foundation?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yes, get rid of the mess. It will only get worse if you leave it alone. I had to fix one of my frames like this about a week ago too. Sometimes the girls just get a little mixed up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using wax foundation. I thought I would have fewer problems with wax than plastic. But I did see a little capped honey today and some nectar. When I went in yesterday it was a little cloudy, so maybe the sun helped today. Thanks for the help though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts