Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I am somewhat concerned about my queen/hive. I installed what I belive to be a somewhat light nuc 2.5 weeks ago into a 10 frame deep. I say I belive because my beekeeping experience is 2.5 weeks worth. Anyway on to my problem... They took all the honey storage frames and she has laid eggs in them. Also the brood frames have very little nectar/pollen. As you can see in these pictures. Please let me know if I have any problems or am I just watching over my bees too much. Just to add we are in a nectar flow from the palm trees here which from what I understand is a good one. I quite feeding them sugar water a few days ago since it was an entrance feeder and I was seeing some robbing going on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cant see any pics. But sounds normal to me, queen will lay in any available space if she wants.
I would continue to feed them if they are low on stores. Also you might want to reduce the entrance to 1 bee size.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
No pictures came thru. If a flow is on and they are getting nectar, do they have any stored? If they don't consider making sure they have some syrup available or they will starve if it rains for a couple days. If you can get one or have one, a pollen pattie would be good. Be sure your entrance is reduced to just a couple bees wide so they can defend their small colony. Make sure you only have the one entrance so their space is more defensible.

Why do you differentiate between storage frames and brood frames? Any frame in the bottom box is for brood and feed and brood are almost always on the same frame in beginning colony.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the files didn't attach, but they are there now I edited it. I did reduce the entrance to about a 1 inch opening and they seem to be handling that better. I just put on a new inner cover so that I can put the feeder in the top so it will be easier to defend. The new comb that is drawn on the picture has an egg/larva in every cell. She just must want lots more workers! The frame that only has the middle capped brood has larva/egg almost all the way out to the frame edge.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I can tell they are bringing in lots of pollen and I can only assume nectar too I can kind of see a swelling in some of the abdomens of returning bees. There is only 1 entrance and it's reduced now. When I got the nuc the 2 outside frames were only honey and I assumed they would keep the outside for honey but that's been removed and eggs added that's why I thought the storage was gone. There is some nectar/honey and pollen on each frame but I just thought there was supposed to be more when I look up good laying patterns.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's empty. The guy I got the nuc from said they swarmed a couple times before I bought them so there are several queen cups/cells on different frames.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wonderful brood...would like to have that in all my hives.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Those are some AMAZING brood frames! You say you installed them into a 10 frame....what's happening with the other 4 frames? I see SO little stores (honey) on the brood frames...are they storing it elsewhere? Usually it's frame 1 and 10 in an established hive...or those closest to the brood in this case. You say "somewhat light weight nuc"...what do you mean by that? Cuz queenie is sure kicking some butt now! I am concerned that you think the palm flow is significant...we are soon going to be in total dearth. Can you find ANY honey/nectar stores? I doubt you were seeing robbing...there isn't anything there to rob! Call the supplier of the nuc and buy a frame or two of honey. JMO. We have almost zero flow now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The other 4 frames are coming along like the one foundationless picture. The honey stores is my main concern. When I purchased the nuc there were 2 frames of honey, 1 and 5. Now they have taken those and she has got an egg in just about every cell on those outside storage frames. It's probably my fault because when I installed them I put the foundationless frames in between the already drawn frames so they had guidance. When I say light...I think a lot of foragers were still out. From all the videos I saw the frames just didn't seem as packed with bees as others. The guy I got them from was in the middle of extracting so there were tons of bees out even though it was about 8pm all over his cappings/ect. About the palm flow, I was under the impression that it was significant. That's the problem with reading and not being able to have any hands on experience. I am missing all the "local" information I need, like dates and what sources will actually produce decent nectar. I'm somewhat in a weird location in that I am on 5 acres and there's lots of empty 10 acre lots around with palmetto ect but then on one side of me is a huge neighborhood so it's almost like they have access to a variety I guess. There is I'd say 1/4 frame on each side of the outside storage frames it's just I couldn't believe she was laying in them when I saw that, that's what made me worry. I guess I will give them the syurp back and also get back in contact with the gentlemen I got the nuc from for some honey frames. That could take a week or so because he keeps his hives away from orlando on some hunting lease property. Thanks by the way to all the responses. I am liking the fact that I can get some "local" feedback here. Also I have a list of all the registered beekeepers in fl and there is someone like 1 mile from me, would it be weird to call/stop by and see if next time they go through there hives I could watch? Haha that might freak people out...

·
Registered
825 Posts
This may help you a bit with Florida bloom times...
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in848
Don't get me wrong...we still have things blooming....but we are not on a main flow. As others have said, that hive is getting ready to explode with all that new brood. Prepare additional equipment now so you are ready when you need it. Have you decided what set-ups you are going with for your box configurations?

No harm reaching out to the beekeeper near you. The worst they can say is no...but most are very accommodating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This may help you a bit with Florida bloom times...
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in848
Don't get me wrong...we still have things blooming....but we are not on a main flow. As others have said, that hive is getting ready to explode with all that new brood. Prepare additional equipment now so you are ready when you need it. Have you decided what set-ups you are going with for your box configurations?

No harm reaching out to the beekeeper near you. The worst they can say is no...but most are very accommodating.
This link is awesome....I need to find one for Mississippi!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks. I have read several of the ifas papers and they have helped. I purchased a bunch of used equipment from someone that just had it lying around and wasn't into bees anymore. So I don't have a bunch of brand new nice stuff like many new beekeepers but the upside was I got more boxes for less money lol. I have some 8 frame medium equipment that I may try on a hive a some point. And I have a lot of med boxes and maybe like 10 deeps. So I bought with the intension of being able to run a couple hives with it. When I talked to the guy I bought the nuc from today about buying some honey frames from him he basically said no and that I shouldn't add another deep on it. Going on to say just keep them in the 1 box and only add supers when the flow is on and that's how commercial guys usually do it. He said be ready to split this hive but I was thinking I needed to throw another deep on once the other frames are pretty much drawn out. I guess with beekeeping if you talk to 10 different people you will get 20 different responses haha. From everything I saw you want double deeps so they have enough honey storage for the times the flows not on....the more research I do the less I know!

By the way this is where I got palm being a major nectar source http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/honeybee/extension/Beekeeping%20-%20Florida%20Bee%20Botany.pdf
And this is where I found the fl registered beek's thought it was cool http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/24008/486797/registered-florida-beekeepers.pdf

·
Registered
825 Posts
Your guy gave you good advice for Florida, absolutely. I run either single deeps or double mediums for brood, queen excluder, then medium supers. The queen excluder debate is a big one (some calling them honey excluders), but in Florida, it has been my experience that we really have no choice or you will end up with brood in every box. I am going to plant this seed now...disregard all the rules about 'over wintering' your bees. No such thing for us. We will be adding supers when everyone else is buttoning up the hives for the winter. We'll be pulling honey when others are praying the snow will stop. That was a hard one for me to grasp my first 'winter'.... I thought I was crazy....the bees were telling me one thing, and everything I read was contradictory. Central and South Florida beekeeping seasons are nearly the opposite of just about everyone else. I wish somebody had told me that many years ago...I would have been a whole lot less stressed! Welcome to beekeeping and enjoy the ride! :applause:

"...the more research I do the less I know!" LOL! Yup! Give it a year or two then you'll really have a grasp on how little you know! :lpf: The bees will teach you something new every time you work with them!

edited to clarify...I didn't mean to imply that you can only use mediums for supers...Choose any depth you want, but I hope you are very strong if you choose deeps for your supers.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Newbie in Florida here. Only an hour or so from ya. Everything you have there looks good as far as brood goes. If you dont start seeing open cells of nectar somewhere soon then I'd feed them. One thing I see you did (I did the same thing....) on your foundationless.........you cut a slot in the bottom bar of the frame. I found that since I was foundationless...this wasnt needed AND the bad thing is....this gives the SHB (small hive beetle) a perfect place to hang out from the bees and since the slot is so narrow....the bees cant get to them. So on the ones going natural honeycomb, I dont cut it anymore. Saves me a step anyway!! Are you running SBB (screened bottom board)?? If so...that is good but you may want to look at using these SBB w/oil tray. It made a HUGE diffrence in the SHB in my hives. As in the reduction of numbers of them. Heres a link to how they're built.

http://www.greenbeehives.com/abgrbe.html

Good luck with your ladies!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts