Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my secound year of beekeeping and I need some advice. I am in Michigan if that helps. I installed 2 packages in April both are doing good but one is exceptional. The bees are overflowing out of on the two deeps have about 50% honey and also also has 3 supers on it with one completely full and capped one about 60% full and the the other on just starting to put polin in it. Should I split this hive and buy a mated queen for new one. The frames the queen lays in she packs them full. I am new to this lost four hive over winter but now I know what frames with brood should look like. Should I take some of the deep frames full of honey out and save them incase I need them this fall and put new frame and foundation in to make room for her to lay more. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I would just keep supers on the hive, remove the capped supers before the golden rod flow, and extract, then put them back on. The bees will refill them with goldenrod honey. Winter is coming, if the brood chamber is 50% full of honey then you are where you where you want to be. As summer wares on the bees will reduce the brood nest size. If I go into winter with 60% stores in the bottom, and 90% in the top brood box then I am happy, and fairly confident that hive will make it as long as the mite count does not get out of hand. To answer your question directly. No, I would not split the hive.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If your not sure if you should split then I would recommend no. Granted you can still make up wintering nucs at this point. I would recommend watching Micheal Palmers utube vids on wintering nucs and get a good handle on it and work on that next year. This year just get your hives through winter. You might want to balance them a bit with stores if one is lighter than the other.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I will not answer the question but some observations: sometimes those booming package queens are flameouts, boom in the summer and gone in the spring. Both of your hives still have the package queens? No superceder that you noticed?

Double or tiples stacked nucs do make it in Michigan I read here.
If you can find Michigan queens, consider making nucs with your current queens and requeen the main hives.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
>Not sure if I should split

All beekeeping is local, but this is the time of year that things start to wind down, rather than up. The growth you have observed up until now will taper off. So if you have enough bees/comb/honey that when you split you think that would winter, you could do a split. If not, I would not count on them growing much (although they MIGHT).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody I thought it might be too late. I was just wondering if I should take some of brood honey out to and put in new frames to give queen more room to lay but sounds like I should just take the honey supers off extract them and put back on before next flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts