Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Haven't pulled mine off yet, but at last nights Meck B Assn meeting. Everyone was talking huge #'s and saying the "flowing is still going".

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Southeast Ohio. Cold Spring, no early crop. Dry Summer, poor harvest.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Southern IL, the girls are doing OK but all the early cool, wet weather seemed to be detrimental. Like cg3 I'm not seeing much to write home about. Hopefully fall will better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my 2nd year, and I ask because I really don't know what a realistic harvest should be. I've got 3 tbh's and have harvested a few bars here and there, but nothing too impressive, yet

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I am not far from cg3 and I am seeing the same thing he is, my hives gained their wintering weight by the end of our spring flow then it was over, we will see if the Fall flow brings anything.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have not harvested anything yet, however i feel the bees have not stopped bringing nectar in since spring. this morning on the drive to work i see even more yellow flowers, black eyed Susans etc. The indeterminate soyabean are starting to flower and i have the cotton to come. Currently most of my production hives are in 3 deeps with the occasional 4 deeps. I've inspected them and they have capped honey, just need to press the button on that 20 frame dadant. today might just bee that day.

G.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
CG3, I have 600 colonies on pollination in North Central Ohio and I am very impressed with what I am seeing. Colonies are so honeybound and filled with brood that we had to make another 100 splits. We put honey supers on and are going back this week to look at them. The honey is almost clear with only one yard looking like it has darker honey in it. We are pollinating cukes, eggplant, squash, etc.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
CG3, I have 600 colonies on pollination in North Central Ohio and I am very impressed with what I am seeing.
Thanks for cheering me up.
I'm in a forested area. The majority of our forage is trees. The early stuff didn't bloom this year. Honey is pretty dark.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
CG3. I am slightly north and an hour east of you and in spite of the late spring I am having the best year in a long time. We are not done pulling supers yet, but even our spring splits have full supers. We pulled from our hives on a buckwheat field which is notorious for short yields and have bumper crops of the black gold.
Funny how a scant 80 miles can make such a difference. We have and still do have had a very wet year so far. If you can believe this, The goldenrod is starting to bloom here already. Just bring a few hives on over. we'll get them full for ya!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The flow seems to be constant here in western mass. This is my second year and so far it seems that they just keep producing more honey. My problem is that the honey doesn't seem to sell fast enough. Drowning in honey could be a problem soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I harvested 3 1/2 pints of honey(capped comb) this week from 1 hive. This was all on 1 bar. Bees are very active, bringing in pollen and nectar. I should be able to harvest again before winter gets here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In southeast Pa, I have 2 hives, I pulled some frames from both hives, I crushed and strained, I got about 70lbs. I put the frames back in the hives about 2 weeks ago. I checked them yesterday, both have built out the frames again, filled and capped them. I am going to put a super on both of these hives. I am planning on building an extractor in the next few weeks and then pulling all the extra and extracting them.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I am more than ready for a decent spring flow and harvest, I haven't seen one for such a long time that I am forgetting what they are like. Next year has just got to be the year, all I have now are bees in waiting and me with far off dreams of what could be. :).

·
Registered
159 Posts
This Spring when flow began I got 1/2 gallon from last year's TB hive's bees extra stores(honey in partially filled combs from last Fall). 3 partial combs gave medium color brownish-orange and wonderful flavored honey. They built up so fast I split them, so I won't be taking any more from them.
In June I got a full dark 1/2 gallon+pint (like buckwheat "takes getting used to" Strong) honey comb from my April package! They built it on the first bar(it had a spacer in front making it a little wider)so I replaced it with the pollen bar that came next and put a blank in 2nd. First Full size white capped comb on both sides I'd gotten! That hive was 2/3 full with the rest of it lots of brood with honey on top. Our flows for this great-blooming year are slowing down so I won't be taking anymore unless I need to make space for the queen.Last year I had to feed a real dry Summer dearth and Fall didn't yield more than what the bees needed for winter so it's "wait and see".

·
Registered
66 Posts
I cannot speak for anyone else since I am new to beekeeping and haven't made any local honeybee connections yet. But, here in eastern NC, my hive is doing fantastic IMHO. If I was to include the honey in the cutouts and what drained from the wax, I got a little over a quart of honey from one bar. There are still 4 more bars I left in there and they haven't shown signs of slowing down. They even back filled brood comb. I hope everyone else is doing good.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Great year all around. Normally our summer dearth starts in June. I put stickies on to be cleaned last week and instead many have been refilled with nectar.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not bad. Average is 40# per hive so far. Some were splits. Some still on the hive but may leave it in case of another long cold winter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts