Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that i am complaining, I just wonder why i am not seeing very many varroa in my hives. A friend reports similar findings, or lack there of. I wonder if it is because I made most of my splits kinda late, shortly before bringing them back to NY for apple pollination. I did not treat them this spring in SC. I did do a mite treatment last fall when I got them to SC. I usually find mites present in drone brood between supers, which there isn't much of. I'm not finding them in drone cells that I have decapped and knocked out onto the tops of my hives. Not very many anyway.

Is it just early in the season?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
we are not seeing many down her either...YET. Crossing my fingers hoping for a low mite count all year.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm all for fooling myself Tom. :)
But compared to years past I'm not seeing any mites in broken brood. Compared to seeing mites in broken brood. Does that mean anything?

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
Not ANY Mites

It is very surprising to here your report from NY that mirrors my observations from Oregon.
When i bring the bees home from California I can usually get a general feel for mite loads from the ones exposed in drone brood between boxes.
This year I was very happy when I saw none. Then afrer a while I realized that I have not seen one single mite so far this year.
Since then, I will stop and pick through drone brood, looking for a mite.
It will be June 1st tomorrow, and I have not been able to find a single mite in any of my hives.
What ever the reason, It is nothing that I did different than any other year.
It will be very interesting to see what our drop tests look like as we approach August.
Maybe I will get to join the I DON'T TREAT choir for this year! :eek:t:

:D

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I went through a couple hives yesterday, opening drone brood. I didn't find any infected drone brood.

Very odd, maybe the mites got ccd last winter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts