Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Here's the story:

-Hive vandalized June 1 st.
-Check on June 8 th and find emergency queen cells (3)
-Check on June 22 nd and see young queen
-Check on June 30 th, see queen but no eggs or larvae yet :waiting:
-Checked today and found three frames of what used to be nice worker comb now covered with drone cells (bullet bumps all over). :ws
Hunt her down and finally find her and pinch. Place a frame with fresh eggs from next hive in.
I am hoping they will try and raise yet another queen, I guess I'll have to check back in a week or so and get rid of any queen cells that are not on the frame I transferred in. Whoever did this has effectively taken this hive out of brood production for what I figure will end up being at least two months. I figure I won't see fresh eggs now till sometime early Sept. The only saving grace is this hive has still filled two supers with honey for me despite the setback, shame to have lost the original queen though.

Perry

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Why dont you just buy a queen since they already tried once to raise a queen on their own & failed???? Be alot faster and wont have to wait another month or so!

·
Registered
792 Posts
You should buy a queen.
It will be 28+ days until a queen they raise begins laying eggs and another 19 days or so until those eggs hatch
by that time your hive population will have dwindled to near nothing.

Buy a queen or combine them with another colony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts