Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Girls were not happy with me today. I had to On my way! and weed whack by the hives and a few took offense to that. Everything was fine until I got too close. I got chased by about 5 bees and got stung in the neck. Hubby was confused after I came flying around the corner. I had him remove the stinger, donned my suit and continued on. Hubby, trying to be the brave man offered to finish, but the girls were hovering over the mower, and I didn't want him getting stung. I appreciated the offer though. I'll leave them alone now to cool off. Just surprised because they were very nice 2 weeks ago. Then again,I did just split them. Oh well. I'll go in next week to check things out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sometimes I can weed eat around mine with no problems. Sometimes I might make it to the last hive before getting stung. sometimes their waiting for me to get there.

Any more I just suit up anyway.

·
Registered
287 Posts
After being stung several times while mowing in front of my hives, I now just go ahead and put on the suit. You never know what mood they might be in, and I prefer safe over sorry!

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I have a field string mower and yesterday I used it to whack all the dead weeds. Knowing of stories about weed whackers around hives I expected to get zapped but it didn't happen. I am wondering what it actually is about the weed whacker or the technique used that agitates the bees.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know about technique, but I made sure I didn't spray into the hive and quickly passed in front of their flight path. I wasn't expecting the reaction like that. They weren't like that in the fall, seasons change and attitudes change. Oh well, Suite up from now on. After they calmed down I went out to check them, no interest whatsoever. At least I get no reaction from the stings. Just the initial pain, then that's it. No itching, lumps,etc to even know if I had been stung.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
and quickly passed in front of their flight path.
This may be the problem. Try moving very slowly. They have no problem getting around you but if you go quickly they may feel threatened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts