Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, yesterday I posted about trying to catch a sneaky queen without success. This morning I caught her! Problem is about 20 minutes ago I was trying transfer her to a different cage and she escaped. :doh: My question is: I removed her from her hive at 9:00 this morning she escaped at 4:30 this afternoon and we were about 35 yards from the hives.
Will she find her way back to her hive?
Have they been queenless long enough (7hrs) that they may or may not let her back in?
I have another queen I needed to introduce into this hive!:ws
(I've really wanted to use this smiley, I finally have a reason)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
You should plan for the queen not to return to her hive. Sorry that you lost her. Go ahead with your planned introduction of the new queen.
{I know what it is like to loose queens - there is an AWOL Russian - most likely dead now - somewhere in the cab of my pickup)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think if the queen originated from this hive then she had mating flights from the hive and she will easily get back to the hive. But if the queen was introduced using a cage she will have no clue how to get back.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope she was born and raised there. She flew back in that general direction and has much experience with flying away from it and finding her way back. I have no doubt she found her way back but do you think that seven hours of being queenless will prevent them from letting her back in? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go look for her again...for the third attempt. :(

·
Registered
507 Posts
If she was born and raised there, I think it is highly likely she'll just fly right back to the hive. It's the only one she's ever known and oriented to. She hatched, flew, mated and returned. Probably 100% chance she can find her way back from 35 yards.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
she will most likely go back to the hive and they will welcome her back with open arms 7 hours or not

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am not sure this is accurate, but I read somewhere on this forum that you can reintroduce the same "laying" queen to a colony up to 36 hours without any problem of rejection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts