Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't realize it before, but Almost since I started last year drawn comb has been the limiting factor on growing my hives. I know that they will still build a little bit between now and winter, but not much.

This time of year there are always lots of questions about splits and swarms that end with "Will they build up enough for winter?" - I have that same question myself, but I think I've figured out the answer.

A good queen in a good nuc will produce enough bees between now and October if she has room to lay - drawn comb.

So, I'm thinking I should count what comb I have at this point divide it by the minimum amt needed to fill a hive for winter and that will just about give me the number of hives that I can get built up. And I should probably go ahead and divide it up equally pretty soon to give the queens in smaller hives room to work. This is one of those times when all mediums is a big help.

Am I right?

·
Registered
302 Posts
If I was wanting to expand thats what I would do, thats also what Im getting ready to do this coming week. I would also feed to try and get more comb built and give the queen more room to lay. Try to get the hives good and strong for winter so they will have a good fast build up in the spring to make you some honey next year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts