Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I cut boxes recently, I cut them about 1/8th inch too shallow.

So instead of 9 5/8 inch, they came out as 9.5 inches.

I measured the space between frames, it looks like they're roughly 3/8 - 4/8 inch.

Is this going to be an issue, or is it OK if they have 3/8-4/8 inch, instead of 5/8 inch?

·
Registered
903 Posts

I do not think that you need to be concerned about it. My understanding is that a "bee space" is generally considered to be 1/4" - 3/8". I have also read it defined as the amount of space required for a bee walking upside down to pass another bee walking right side up within a hive.

Cheers,
Steve
====

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Maybe my imagination but I think they are more apt to bridge frames in honey supers than they are in the brood. I made quite a few boxes that ended up near 6 and a half inches (green lumber, duh!) and it can take some twisting to lift them off. Haven't noticed the same in brood boxes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
9-1/2" is correct for 9-1/8" frames (3/8" beespace). Had you made them 9-5/8" you would have 1/2" space between the top and bottom bars and the bees would fill it full of comb. If you meant 6-5/8" and they turned out 6-1/2" (for use with 6-1/4" frames) you're still OK because you have a 1/4" beespace.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,280 Posts
Username, I have deeps from several different manufacturers. Some are 9-5/8" deep and others are 9-1/2" deep. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
9-1/2" is correct for 9-1/8" frames (3/8" beespace). Had you made them 9-5/8" you would have 1/2" space between the top and bottom bars and the bees would fill it full of comb. If you meant 6-5/8" and they turned out 6-1/2" (for use with 6-1/4" frames) you're still OK because you have a 1/4" beespace.
I think it has been mentioned in previous posts that the standard spacing on the deeps IS a bit on the loose side so the boxes can be a bit under with no problem. On the mediums though, not so much. 1/4" is cutting it close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts