Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mixed up some MegaBee Saturday and put it on six hives Sunday afternoon. Sunny day today so I decided to check them out. Only one hive has had any activity on the pollen patty and they are barely touching it. We have been warming up to the mid 40's but still below freezing at night. This is my first time mixing my own patties so I may have not done the recipe exactly per instructions but it was very close. Is this anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
sometimes they need a little push to get them started. Squirt a little sugar water with honey be healthy on top of the paddy and see if that helps. I just got back from my bees and they were very hungry for the Mega Bee patties. Good luck Horsti

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
I'm thinkin' that it's still a bit cold in Idaho. 40 degrees? They probably won't break their cluster until it gets over 50...give or take. Personally, I wouldn't even be opening my hives until I see them flying....patience.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am currently running my second test with MegaBee. I have several trays in open air in which I deposit several dry foods, My four main trays are: self ground corn meal, store bought enriched corn meal, Megabee in dry form, pinta beans flour, and another tray with a Mannlake patty. At the end of the day I added a tray with three year old pollen ground to a flour.
The results are astounding. The patty is not touched, the Megabee flour is barely touched, the enriched corn flour is moderately taken and the home ground corn flour is their favorite. However when at the end of the day I added the tray with ground up pollen most of the bees moved over to this tray.
If Megabee if the only food offered they will take it but in moderate amounts, like 10 bees may hoover over the tray while if only corn flour is offered 100's hoover over the tray.
The first test three weeks ago gave similar results.
The weather with all tests was sunny, windstill and about 60 F.
I have been doing some reading about bee bread as I was worried about this food being fed to the larvae. Now I know that bee bread is not fed to the larvae but consumed by young bees, feeed bees, which in turn produce royal yelly for initial feeding of all larvae and later on for the queen larva only. For the larvae which become worker bees a different yelly is than produced which is richer in protein.
janvanhamont

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know my bees are taking Mega be at the rate of 1/4 cup a day on 2 open feeders. I have 8 hives. One full blown with 2 med, the others are nucs. Does the other stuff your feeding help the bees? nutritional value is I guess what I'm asking. Flowers will start poping any day now bigtime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts