Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I successfully finished a beekeepers class before i started this adventure (good or bad?) and one of the things they harped on was to make sure you put 2 dronecombs, the green ones into your second deep when its time for the second deep. Preferable in the 3 and 8 position. Now their drawing out 2nd deep comb but not touching the drone comb. Im sure it isnt an issue with GREEN..who can tell green in the dark? Suggestions? Educate me pleae!!:scratch:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea the club is useing is that they draw the drone comb and we freeze it for varroa control. Am i missing something??

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
several factors come to mind, I have seen them hesitant to draw the green PLASTIC drone frames when they had wax foundation to draw. They might have deemed the standard (brood) foundation their priority, maybe they dont need nor want any drones right now. Not sure if your flow is on right now but if not they might wait to draw them until it starts. I personally would remove them and give them 2 more foundation frames, rotate the drone frames back in later when they have both deeps drawn and fully operational. No your not missing anything, but varroa wont be a big factor this new in the ball game. Get them built up then add and begin using your drone comb for control.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I am planning to freeze capped drone frames as a varroa control method as well.
But I bought a small pack of WAX drone cell foundation, and put it into wood frames. I put one in each of my two identical hives which are side by side.

Both hives are drawing the drone frames with drone sized cells nicely. But one hive is filling theirs with nectar, and the other hive is filling theirs with drone larvae. Go figure! :rolleyes: Well, they still haven't drawn the other sides very much...there's hope yet!
Bees will do what they want. :D
But I do suspect bees will not like plastic drone frames as much as wax.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
To follow up on Omies post we too have switched from plastic to the wax drone foundation. We still have the plastic in circulation and it works fine. Again i might suggest pulling it and getting your hive to full strength double deep, the work the drone frames back in at that time, varroa will not be a big deal this early the game. Let them build workers then concentrate on the drones and control.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts