Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked thru my yard today(28 deg.F)and all the hives have gotten thru so far,but two REALLY worry me, but would like your opinion on my options,if I still have options that is.
Hive#1;Got a good case of the hershey squirts,I think this must be dysentary.There is about 8 sq. ft. in front of the hive that is bright yellow,the color of zinc chromate if that helps any.
This was a june swarm(mine)that I caught and put on foundation and they drew almost 2 deeps,but the darn feeder leaked about 2 gallons on them before I caught on.
I have 25 deep frames of honey I've kept for making slits(or emergency feed),and have thought I could drop a whole super on and have them move up as we are supposed to see 38-40 deg.F over the next few days.
Is this a hopeless case?
Hive#2;This hive was a nuc that never got it together...supercedure city...at least 4 I know about,and they are loosing bees fast I'd say,the cluster is gotta be pretty small.
If I'm gonna choose one to "let go",this one is it.
Of course I would like to save both.What would you do?
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Hive#1 Most likely not suffering from food shortage but from high ash content honey in our area (mainly aster) with digestion problems. The next couple of days of wamth (high 30's-low 40's) may help due to cleansing flights. I wouldn't do much else if they have enough stores.

#2 Small clusters, especially if they've made it this far, often do fine as long as stores are plentiful and they are not subject to wind exposure. I would do anything I could to conserve heat such as insulating inside the top cover, wrapping, and reducing the entrance if you have not done that all ready. I would judge the new queen early in the spring and replace her if she is not top quality which repeatedly superceded queens often are not.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hive #1) If they are making it outside the hive for cleanings flights they don’t have dysentery, or at least not a bad case. If you open the hive and it has streaks on the frames and smells of feces, then you have a case of dysentery.

Hive #2) Some strains of bees keep smaller clusters than others. However, don’t judge the cluster left solely by the bees that appear to have died. You will be surprised how many bees could be left. If you are concerned that the cluster is too small and they will have trouble when brood rearing starts with accessing stores, add a felt paper wrap to increase solar gain.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,both of you for your reassurance,not for just this last time but in the past too.

I haven't looked inside,but thought that the honey I reserved might be put to better use on the hives than in my freezer.

I have queens lined up for May,and was going to feed them to my splits,but a bird in the hand.....

Well,thanks,I may peek in if the weather holds.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts