Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there that does not cross wire there brood frames? If so how does this work for you? Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Parkboy, I am running natural comb in deep frames without crosswiring. It is a little soft for the first month. I do not turn them sideways until they are connected on three sides. It has not caused any apparent issues for me.

Do you have any specific question you want answered or just seeing if wiring was a waste of time? I have heard that wax foundations can droop and fall out if not wired, I have not tried to see for myself.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Deep frames I cross wire ALL of them, medium frames I dont cross wire ANY of them. Even the deep foundationless frames I use are cross wired the bees incorportate the wire right into the wax.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I bought my Plastic Wax coated foundation from Walter kelleys when i picked up my bee package they told me that the wiring wasnt needed for that particular foundation!...Good Luck!!

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parkboy, I am running natural comb in deep frames without crosswiring. It is a little soft for the first month. I do not turn them sideways until they are connected on three sides. It has not caused any apparent issues for me.

Do you have any specific question you want answered or just seeing if wiring was a waste of time? I have heard that wax foundations can droop and fall out if not wired, I have not tried to see for myself.

Well Im new to all of this and a little confused because I have been told that I do and I dont need to do it by local bee keepers in my area.. I am installing my foudation now that I will use this weekend but I dont have any of the wire so I dont know wether to install it without the cross wire or wait until I can get some wire.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Are you using wax foundation or plastic? If plastic...you don't need to wire..period. If you are using wax foundation and you plan to extract honey from it, I'd recommend that you crosswire it. If it's only going to be used for raising brood and you don't plan to extract it then you can safely go without wiring....just handle carefully for the first few weeks after it's been drawn out....a good idea regardless.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you using wax foundation or plastic? If plastic...you don't need to wire..period. If you are using wax foundation and you plan to extract honey from it, I'd recommend that you crosswire it. If it's only going to be used for raising brood and you don't plan to extract it then you can safely go without wiring....just handle carefully for the first few weeks after it's been drawn out....a good idea regardless.
Wax foundation.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Parkboy a good ole Kentucky guy should have some fishing line laying around??:D Fishing line works too. The bees will incorporate it into the comb as they draw it. :thumbsup: As stated some wire some dont. Down here in the heat I have to wire foundation will buckle and fall out of the frame. Plus I extract. Up to you but with just a few frames wont take that much time and certainly wont hurt anything. Good luck

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parkboy a good ole Kentucky guy should have some fishing line laying around??:D Fishing line works too. The bees will incorporate it into the comb as they draw it. :thumbsup: As stated some wire some dont. Down here in the heat I have to wire foundation will buckle and fall out of the frame. Plus I extract. Up to you but with just a few frames wont take that much time and certainly wont hurt anything. Good luck
Fishing line...... Thats a good idea as long as it wont hurt anything. I guess ill go with fishing line. Does it matter what lb. line?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts