Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some package bees about 3 weeks ago. I checked them 3 days later, and they were all on the inner cover. I was able to find the queen and remove her cage. The weather has been sporadic so I have not been able to get into the hive to check them (either horrible dirt blowing winds, or snow, or rain). I did get to check them yesterday. I had placed a shallow super above the deep super with the frames. It allows me to feed sugar water from the inside and reduce robbing. The bees have drawn out comb and made their hive on the inner cover. It is full of brood and honey. How can I get them onto the frames? For the time being, I removed several of the middle frames (so the comb would fit) and the shallow super. I placed the inner cover back on the deep super. If I remove the comb from the inner cover, I think they'll just build back to it. If I remove the inner cover, they'll just attach to the telescoping lid, which is what they had done in the hand hole of the inner cover. Ideas?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>The bees have drawn out comb and made their hive on the inner cover.

NEVER give bees space to where they can build comb that is not in the frames. They will. They always prefer their own comb to building on foundation also...

> It is full of brood and honey. How can I get them onto the frames?

Do a cutout. Flip the cover upside down and set it on something. Cut each comb off and rubber band it into frames. When you are done remove the extra box and the feeder so they only have a box full of frames (always FULL of frames...).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts