Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to keep ticks out of my bee field without harming my bees or the plants they forage on? I have them in an overgrown unused pasture with a wide path cut short to and around my bees but I still managed to get a tick yesterday. Since I have seen what Lyme disease did to my father ticks terrify me and since we had such a warm winter they didn’t die off as much as they usually do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and researched.
Thank you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your gonna have to cut the field and mabe get some guinea fowl to keep them under control after that.
I have 100's of guineas and a large pack of dogs to watch after my flocks and the only time my dogs get ticks is when they go into the thick and high grasses that the guineas can not forage threw.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A couple other options are that you get the boots that Dadant? sells that have DET imbedded into the plastic. I'm not sure, but you might be able to sprinkle DE around the path. I get it from the pool supply and put it all around my yard for slugs and fowl mites. If it rains though it all goes away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I spend 95% of every workday in wooded areas, as a wildlife biologist, and the best defense against ticks (and chiggers) is to treat your outer clothing and footwear with permethrin (trade name "permanone"). Just spray it on liberally and let it dry. It will last for 10 weeks or 10 washings according to the label. I spray my clothing about once a week, and I also use deet on areas of exposed skin. Hope this helps.

Garrett

·
Registered
35 Posts
The tick you found on you is not the tick you get Lyme Disease from. The ticks that transmit it are deer ticks which you probably wouldn't be able to see as they are a lot smaller than the type you had on you. First sign of getting bit by them is a red rash around the site, they are rarely seen by the people they bite due to their small size. You may want to research it a little http://www.lymemd.org/?gclid=COHdkoSZv7ACFcJxOgod0CLVpw

What is the best way to keep ticks out of my bee field without harming my bees or the plants they forage on? I have them in an overgrown unused pasture with a wide path cut short to and around my bees but I still managed to get a tick yesterday. Since I have seen what Lyme disease did to my father ticks terrify me and since we had such a warm winter they didn’t die off as much as they usually do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and researched.
Thank you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ignots,
how do you know what kind of tick they got? i see no description or photo and they stated they had seen their father with lime disease so they must know what the tick looks like by now, i mean when things happen people with internet tend to look stuff up about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Keeping the grass cut is a great way to keep the deer tick population down. They avoid open areas with no cover as they do not like to be dehydrated. and mice the biggest carrier of deer ticks don't like to be exposed out in the open.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the replies. The owner of the field where Im keeping my bees used to keep chickens so Im wondering if he would be open to the idea of having them again. As for keeping it mown, it already is so Im thankful for how much its already helping.
As for the permethrin, I need to research it to make sure its alright around my bees. I havent used any chemicals so far and dont want to start now. I just want to make sure it wont rub off onto my hands and then into the hive while Im working it and then have negative affects on them.
Thank you truely for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts