Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nuc that probably has nosema. I gave it frames from a deadout, so that may have been the source. If so, I gave most of my other 5 hives frames from that hive as well. They had been frozen last winter so I thought they were safe.

Anyhow, can I assume that all my hives now have nosema and just live with it by treating in the Spring? Anything else to do?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the symptoms you are seeing?
Bee crap all over the front of the nuc when we had a warm day last week. I did an OAV treatment earlier and all of the hives were active. Only the nuc had crap on the front. Another hive had alot of dead bees out front (within 2 feet).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dysentery is not a symptom of nosema infection. It's associated with nosema, but can and does happen on it's own. Bees can have dysentery and not have nosema, they can have nosema and not have dysentery and they can have nosema and dysentery. Best way to determine if the bees have nosema is to test for it. You can do that yourself ( search scientificbeekeeping.com for steps on doing it, or look up NYBeeWellness youtube channel where Randy Oliver explains how to do it ) or collect a sample of bees and send it to Beltsville Bee Lab for testing.

If they do have nosema, what are you going to treat it with?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts