Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, here is the situation
1st hive started from nuc last june, they had filled a super by the end of summer (mostly syrup) so the bee inspector advised just remove the queen excluder and leave it on over winter.

So it was sunny (amazing) last week so I went to have a peek and there are the signs of a nosema infection, not severe but there.
Opened up the hive and my god they are doing well, building up nicely, eggs and brood, I didnt stop to loook for te queen as I had seen the eggs, oh, an no queen cells being built.
However I have some questions.

1) will they finish off the stores in the super between now and the nectar flow? obviously Id prefer to harvest honey rather than syrup.will they will replace the syrup in the supers with honey?

2) I presume I just check to see the queen is in the brood box and pop the excluder on?

3) Will the fumadil B + vitafeed+ sugar syrup mix interfere with them eating the stores in the supers?

I have a spare brood box and supers handy, if I make increase will I massively affect my first years honey harvest?

Diolch, hwyl.

victor

·
Registered
429 Posts
ok, as far as the syrup, how long until your flow starts?? if they haven't emptied it, remove it as soon as it starts
or else they will refill it as it stands.
I would remove it about 2 weeks before good flow, and replace it with the other super/supers. keep that one until after you harvest, and then let them clean it, and put it into the brood box as back fill this summer/fall. The fumidil, won't interfere too much, but you don't want to take any chance on contaminating your honey crop.

as far as a split, you either, split as the flow starts, and loose most of the honey, or else you split after the flow and risk them not building up for winter. it is a catch 22, you loose on one or you loose on the other..,

but that is just what I think on it.
sorry about any spelling, typing with a brace on...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BB. Main flow starts I guess end march to late april then end of of june to early july. So you say, a little before then main flow, pull it off store it, and feed it back to them after harvest?
In fairness i got the nuc last june, so this is only her second year, i may wait until she tries to swarm (hopefull next year) and just freestyle it from there.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
They sound healthy. I would not drug them when the coming flow will naturally clear what traces of nosema you have. If you feed them protein supplement, they might finish off the honey with an early population increase. Win-win with a stronger hive going into the season and nothing to store or be destroyed by moths and rats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts