Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you old beeks are gettin' tired of these ventilation questions but if you would be kind enough for just one more.
Last week I was doing a few things and in almost no time I saw that I was starting to get some pretty good robbing started.
I put every thing together quick,and went thru and plugged all my drilled supers with grass and or paper napkins,reduduced my already reduced entrances with paper napkins,and loose grass on the landing boardsand, things seemed to settle down,I didn't see any more robbing on my subsequent daily walk thru inspections.
I left it for the bees remove the napkins.
The thing is,I noticed that some hives seem to like this,and have only removed the entrance plug,and the notch in the inner cover plug.
Other hives opened all the plugs.
Since I drill every hive after I assemble it,before I paint,and because I am running 3 deeps(some3&1/2)I was thinking that this might be a little too much air,BUT it seems that some of my colonies don't seem to mind, and I was wondering if I SHOULD plug all holes(except the bottom entrance& top)on the ones that have expessed thir preference?
Do you northern beeks think it O.K. to keep ALL the 13/16" drilled boxes open(brood&suppers)?And IF the bees prefer it open?
We have had 2 sowfalls over 3" already and I still will (eventually)wrap them.
I just connected with a wine salesman who gave me a bunch of corks from the tastings he gives....
Thanks I appreciate your help(and this site)
Mark

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Mark, let the bees fill them if they want to. I think unless your hives are on a hill and wind is a major concern, I would leave maybe two open, one on top and one on the bottom. I think four holes are really not needed in conjunction of the bottom entrance. The bees know best.

I have many fond memories of Cooperstown. My uncle is a sports writer for Penn State university amd we would get press passes and dinner invites for all the hall of fame functions. I stopped going years ago when I outgrew the "carry my camera bags" scene. Nice place.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bjorn,thanks for the advice.
I have read your old post on drilling entrance holes and was leaning in that direction,but hey,I can admit to being easily confused.
Actually, I live 5 miles out of town.It is a beautiful around here,and good neighbors,without needing to lock everything up.
The real problem is the baseball camp/tourist congestion June-Aug.It's got folks around here saying"Cooperstown's a nice place to be from". ;)
Thanks again for the past/present help.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mark, I hope all the holes are on the same side of the hive to prevent cross winds from making windchill an issue.

BjornBee is right on just having two entrances. One high and one low. I'm still using just the bottom entrance and we are in the middle of eight inches of snow tonight. I'm gonna watch em dig out tomorrow sometime. Even if I have to miss my Computer group meeting.

IMHO more than two holes is too breezy.

Hawk

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I should point out, however, I closed off all my bottom entrances but I have a SBB with a tray in that leaks around the edges a bit. There needs to be some way for air to get in the bottom and mice NOT to get in the bottom (bees getting in and out the bottom doesn't matter one way or the other) and some way for air and bees to get out the top (so the bees can get out and some air can get in when the snow is deep and to let out the excess moisture).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hello Mark and Everyone,

I run deep supers with a 3/4" vent hole drilled in the upper corner of each box. These are left open during the summer and plugged during the winter. I reduce the bottom entrance to 3/8" x 4" for winter.

In most of the 3 story hives, the bees completely plug the top vent with propolis. Most of the vent hole, in the middle box are reduced to a bee space or sealed completely. And the hole in the bottom box is seldom sealed or reduced.

This year, while preping the hives for winter, I recorded and tabulated the degree of sealing in these various vent holes. I thought I had posted the results. But a search didn't find it at beesource. And I can't find the original data. Maybe it got posted on another list.

But my observations indicate my bees definately don't like upward ventilation. See:

http://bwrangler.litarium.com/condensation/

Regard
Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts