Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering how many of you have both, lower and upper hive entrances opened?
How many of you have only upper or lower entrances opened? Thanks, pcelar.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The hives I do over winter I leave the bottom entrance wide open but shielded from direct wind. I also allow ventilation holes at the top with an area big enough for the bees to use in case the bottom gets plugged with dead bees before I can get them cleared.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Entrance reducer on bottom with 4 openings 1/4-3/8 square and upside down inner cover on top. I had to screen the top this fall because the yellow jackets fly in much cooler weather and were getting in the top and upsetting the bees. Temps are single digits +/- now. It's still screened and I'm sure the bees won't mind for a while.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Our hives have the bottom entrance open, the screened bottom board open and on the top modified Tim Arheit inner covers upside down with ventilation holes closed and one three-quarter inch sloped upper entrance open. They have sugar rations a la Mountain Camp on the top frames. We are hoping for strong survivors. Take care and have fun

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wide open bottom entrance and Tim Arhiet (honeyrunapiaries) inner cover with insulation in them and a 3" x 1/4" opening in top cut into them for top entrance.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Lower reduced and mouse guarded. Flipped inner cover and added homasote with a space cut into it accommodating the hole in the inner cover. This for ventilation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both top and bottom ent., fiberboard between inner and outer covers, screened bottom only.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I was wandering how many of you have both, lower and upper hive entrances opened?
How many of you have only upper or lower entrances opened? Thanks, pcelar.
I set my hives up differently if they are NUC's or full size, but both have lower and upper entrances. For years I did what I thought was right (pre-Beesource Forum days). Then I did what you have done here, I "Polled" the folks on Beesource and then decided what I wanted to do and went and did it. I picked a few folks responses from here that have similar weather conditions and hive set-ups as me, who are successful, like Mike Palmer and took their advice to which I am grateful. The big change I made was to open up the inner cover entrance.

My hives are set-up with lower entrances, typically 3/8" with either two full, or one full and one medium. I reduce the lower entrances and vent the inner cover...I also insulate, and on light hives, use the dry sugar method of providing additional feed if necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts