Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do we expect to start seeing swarms in the north TX area? When will be the start to our honey flows?
Put out three swarm traps on the weekend.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
My first 2 swarms caught in traps last year was April 20th and 21st.

Depending on what you have for your flow. Mine seems to start about April 10th - May with Clover, Vetch, Horse Mint, Indian Blanket, and other wildflowers at different times. Then I get the mesquite flow in June. It last about a month.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I'm seeing redbud, Bartlett pear, henbit, davodils, and a bunch of other stuff blooming. I must have missed the maples. It can't be long, but I honestly haven't found time to do more than drive by a few of mine.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I must have missed the maples.
My neighbor and my FIL have a few Maples. A few weeks ago when we had the record snow fall. That's when they were blooming. It was crazy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Up in Amarillo I usually start getting swarm calls around April 15-20. Peaches and pears typically begin blooming around March 25 and Apples about three weeks later. Not sure about the mesquite but I'll be watching this year. Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have seen swarms in early March in some years, before any of the trees leaf out. Our main honey flow is mid May to mid June; it is usually indian blanket and horsemint. If you watch craigslist in the spring you see when the swarms are starting in Dallas. Typically our first swarms are a little later than Dallas.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
My main flow is usually earlier than that, mostly April and May. We're usually done by mid June unless the mesquites bloom. Horsemint goes all summer, but normally won't produce a lot of honey.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Maple pollen rating was moderate today. They early bloom with the cold my have killed the early buds. Maybe a rebloom is in order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts