Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to move a couple of hives to north Ga, the Pickens County area. It's an area there that is quite mountainous with sourwood trees that bloom.
Question: When does the flow start "usually"? I was thinking the blooms didn't start until mid June??? Am I remembering correct?

Thanks brothers...and sisters.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm 35 miles north of Chattanooga on the Cumberland Plateau, 1800 feet altitude. Sourwood starts mid-June and lasts about a month. It is a gradual flow because several "urns" on the spike have to open before there is enough volume for a flow. Same way when it goes out.
Sourwood is very unpredictable as far as the quantity of honey. Conditions can appear to be perfect and produce no honey. Every once in a while it makes several supers of lite-bodied lemon-juice colored honey. Often it is mixed with red sumac making it dark. It will have that very distinctive sourwood aroma though. It still sells as sourwood honey even when amber ( mixed ).

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks TWF...I spend a month is Jasper last summer. I thought I remembered not seeing the blooms til mid June. Will move 2-3 hives up there around the 8th of June to see if there's enough of a flow to get 1-2 supers on each hive. We shall see!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.