Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the Piedmont area of NC we are settling in for a week of cold (nighttime in the teens, daytime in the 30s) and snow. I started Mountain Camp feeding about a month ago due to light hive weight. The cluster appears to have moved upward, and today I have a tight cluster of a couple hundred bees on top of the dry sugar. Is this normal? They have not consumed very much sugar, and I can probably get away with not opening the top to check on the sugar supply until it warms up if this would help conserve warmth.

Not much I can do about it -- just curious about the behavior.

Debbie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Beeslave:

Actually the newspaper is covering only about half of the frame tops. I have a syrup feeder on the other half. We have had a couple of weeks of warm (50s) weather and they were flying and taking syrup. I added the sugar just to be sure they would have a source of food in a cold snap -- which is occurring now. They have crawling on the frame tops in the warmer weather, but today was the first time I saw the clustering behavior on top.

Debbie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.