Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped the ball and let the bees swarm. It happened on Friday evening - captured the swarm and got them set up in a new hive. Noticed 7 mustard brown streaks on the old hive after swarming (Friday at dusk) and they were not there earlier in the day. Saturday morning, I did a full inspection of the old hive fearing the worst, but it was clean and fresh inside and the bees seemed healthy and robust. There were a ton of bees! I cleaned those streaks away and 2 new appeared on Sunday. One new appeared today and I noticed about 20 bees in the grass in front of the hive (all drones) climbing to the top of grass stalks and tumbling down. The new hive appears completely healthy. What do you guys think? These bees have never been treated for anything - they've been here long before I moved on the property last year and began to "manage" them - originally collected from a hollow tree on site. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Most Beeks associate bee poop inside of the hive on the top bars with nosema, the bee poop on the outside could bee from bees inside or other bees around. Moisture outside will cause a normal poo to run as well. Don't worry unless the hive on the inside gives you reason to worry.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, just keep a eye on it. Swarm bees gorge w/ honey before leaving the hive, might be poop, might be regurgitated honey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts