Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some help.

This is my first season in beekeeping and have run into a problem. I got a package of bees in early May, put them into a new hive with foundation, have been feeding 1:1 sugar water and everything seemed to be going well. Inspected the hive at end of May, did not see the queen, but saw eggs and larva. Continued feeding for the next month. Inspected again at the first of July and saw no evidence of brood at all, only honey and pollen. Any ideas of what occurred??? Any suggestions???

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
Maybe something happened to the queen. Contact your supplier to order another queen.

If there is another beekeeper near you, see if you can buy a nucc. You need more then one or two hives if you're going to keep bees successfully.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
As Axtman says, is there room for the queen to lay or is the nest all clogged with honey and pollen? If there is room then you have either no queen or a failed one. She should be laying this time of year.

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
Of course I'm also assuming there were no queen cells that had emerged etc. It's always possible to have no brood or eggs because of a supercedure and the new queen isn't laying yet. In this case buying a new queen and installing her will simply fail. The best test for a virgin queen is give them a frame of brood from another hive if you have one. That way they can start a queen if they think they need one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In this hive the bees have several frames of foundation, not drawn comb and seemed to be drawing out the foundation with new white wax. Would the bees fill the new drawn out comb with honey rather than allow the queen to lay in it?

·
Vendor
54,120 Posts
During a flow it's hard to say. But I would think they would let the queen lay. Is there any old brood comb in the hive? Is it filled with honey? No brood, no eggs means you are either queenless or you have a vrigin. Try to find out which.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts