Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I've noticed this week that I have about 4 hives that aren't showing any signs of brood. I've looked for a queen but haven't seen her. The bees are really calm which makes me think that there's got to be a queen in there somewhere.

What do you guys do when there aren't any signs of brood this late in the year? Do you try to get another queen or do you just hold out and see if brood starts to show?

Thanks for any input :scratch:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi All

I've noticed this week that I have about 4 hives that aren't showing any signs of brood. I've looked for a queen but haven't seen her. The bees are really calm which makes me think that there's got to be a queen in there somewhere.

What do you guys do when there aren't any signs of brood this late in the year? Do you try to get another queen or do you just hold out and see if brood starts to show?

Thanks for any input :scratch:
Russians or Carni queens? Some hives headed with these queens will shut down for late summer. It freaks me out sometimes till I find the queen after a week of worry.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Do you mean no open brood or no brood at all? Do you have another hive you could take a test frame with eggs and young brood to see if they would start cells.

I agree with the russian/carnis shutting down at times. In the spring they will lay in fits and starts too and like the previous poster says, freak you out!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had one this week, no brood, no eggs, no nothing, just a lot of bees, and there on the comb was a big healthy mature queen. I grabbed her and marked her because I'll be checking on her later. She was a mutt, mix of carni, Italian and Caucasian.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are carnis. I'm not seeing any brood at all. I have a few hives at another location that seem to be doing well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a hive (I think Italian, they were from a trap-out and they head but me) that has shut down in the last few weeks as well. They have a little capped brood here and there and some on fairly new comb. However, I don't see a lot of eggs/larvae.

Is it common for queens to shut down in the summer? I'm new and don't know what to expect. I have another hive that I split toward the end of the flow and both portions of the split have a couple frames of brood each. Just don't know what to expect. Thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You're not too far from me and my girls are still laying well. Don't have Carnis, but Russians and Hybrids. I would think its a little early for her to shut down completely. I would take a frame of eggs from one of your other hives and try to requeen. There are still a lot of drones and drone cells in my hives, so you might still have time. Besides....what have you got to loose? IF there is a queen in there now, no big deal. If not you can alway do a combine later on if they don't create a laying queen. But I'd do it ASAP.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're not too far from me and my girls are still laying well. Don't have Carnis, but Russians and Hybrids. I would think its a little early for her to shut down completely. I would take a frame of eggs from one of your other hives and try to requeen. There are still a lot of drones and drone cells in my hives, so you might still have time. Besides....what have you got to loose? IF there is a queen in there now, no big deal. If not you can alway do a combine later on if they don't create a laying queen. But I'd do it ASAP.

What about feeding? Are you feeding your bees now or waiting for a late fall honey flow?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Actually, strangely enough, all my hives were heavily backfilled during the main flow. Never had that happen before and can't explain why. My brood boxes were full of honey. I extracted a few frames just to free up some space for the queen to lay her eggs in. That being said, I still have a lot of honey in all my brood boxes and I have yet to feed any of them. I weigh my hives, so I kinda keep an eye on things that way. They aren't up to their winter weight yet, so I'll feed some later on.
Since I do weigh my hives, I can tell you that the Golden Rod "flow" or Fall Flow is insignificant at best...at least around here anyway. They are already bringing it in now and soon you'll be able to smell it. But I've never had enough to harvest it and leave it all for the girls. It never really amounts to much for my hives.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The hive that quit laying on me is down to a couple frames of honey. Certainly not enough for winter and maybe not enough for the rest of the summer. I've started feeding even though I wanted to avoid it. They were part of a cut-out so they started basically from scratch this Spring. Do you guys offer pollen substitute when you have to feed during a dearth? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Feed some protein with the syrup and see what happens. If they are short of stores and there isn't much coming in, they will stop raising brood until the flow starts.

I thought I'd lost the queen in my Italian package a few weeks ago because there was no brood in the hive to speak of, but when I tested them with a caged queen they went for her right away, had to be a queen in there. Queenless hive next door took right to her and there are a couple frames of eggs last time I looked. Last weekend there was plenty of brood in all stages, so she was there but not laying.

This weekend I need to steal some emerging brood, need to boost two other hives so I can get them ready for winter.

Peter

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It is common here in Texas for queens to shut down during hot, hot weather. They start again when it cools off. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have one hive with no brood and wondered about the queen status. I compare one hive to the others to get the best feel. I have a new Italian package that I split and captured a swarm, so 3 hives from the one package. The original hive has no brood and both splits are packed. Like PSfred stated, putting a caged queen in the hive tells you a lot. My hive that I suspected as being queenless, seemed happy with the caged queen. I will do a quick check again today. It is a little late in the summer here and that is why I added a local mated queen. I think the nuc and the queenless hive will build up nicely for the fall. It has been wet and we still have a TON of clover and alfalfa blooming. With some decent goldenrod in September, they should do OK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts