Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this DBL. deep that's just busting with bees and I want some queens cells to make some queens and I pull the queen. 13 days later I open the hive to get some cells out and most are tore down and there are only 2 intact QCs what gives?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Could they have been preparing to swarm before you pulled the queen? They might have had a qc already capped and now she's hatched killing off the remaining qc?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You waited too long. We beekeepers use just hatched larva. In an emergency (someone took their queen) they will use different aged larva. One of the older ones has hatched.

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
Virgins already hatched & killing the other cells.

You opened the hive on day 13 right? Queens only take 16 days from the day the egg is laid to hatch. Eggs hatch on the 4th day, so the queen is only another 12 days from then till hatch. You opened day 13, game over.

In fact to be safe with a queenless hive, one has to assume queens could be hatching 10 days after it went queenless, this can and does happen, because bees may raise a queen from 2 day old larva (6 days since egg was laid) and they sometimes hatch on day 15 not 16.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So I have this DBL. deep that's just busting with bees and I want some queens cells to make some queens and I pull the queen. 13 days later I open the hive to get some cells out and most are tore down and there are only 2 intact QCs what gives?
I've made that mistake, the rule is 10 days to remove queen cells from the day you make them queenless. Mr. Bush tooks 3 posts before I finally got my brain around why...
Bottom line, they are starting QC with larva, so you've missed the 3 days they were eggs. So you are starting on day 4 and they may hatch early for various reasons so 10 days is the last day you can be sure to get to the queen cells before they hatch, but old enough to be gently moved around.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow learned something new and I though I knew what I was doing.:eek:
That's ok I have 3 hives I made queenless on the 23 and one on the 18 so i'll check that one tomorrow.
Thanks everyone year 5 and still learning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts